Some were downright infuriated, while others were hightly disillusioned.

But for most of Metro's morning commuters, whose routes to work were so rudely interrupted by yesterday's underground flood, the incident was simply viewed as yet another trial in the trials and tribulations of the new subway system.

"This is just another problem to cope with," said Jim Tilton, a Housing and Urban Development official who lives near Metro's Pentagon Station stop and usually travels to work by subway and exists at L'Enfant Plaza.

"The end of the line this morning was Federal Triangle, so I had to take one of those special buses from there the rest of the way to work," he said, referring to the buses that were mobilized by Metro to distribute subway riders around southeastern parts of the city where the service was cut.

"I've just become inured to the problems of the Blue Line," Tilton said, "The lines, the jammed ticket machines, the stalled trains - you name it. The flood is just one more hassle.

Albert Knopp, a Falls Church resident who also usually exits at L'Enfant Plaza to get to his job at HUD, was sympathetic to Metro's difficulties.

"I had a relatively easy time of it this morning," Knopp said. "I got off at Federal Triangle and caught a bus the rest of the way to work like everybody else. I wasn't even late.

"I'm not going to admit that I'm happy about the break in service," he said, "but people have to understand that the subway is brand new and was a monumental project to complete. The flood was unfortunate, but it was just one of those things."

While there were some, like Tilton and Knopp, who were able to grin and bear the incident, others were irate.

"I don't even take the subway to work," said Frances Cherry, a file clerk at the Department of Transportation. "I always catch the V9 express bus at 8:15 a.m. from Southwest Mall to L'Enfant Plaza. This morning, I had to wait an hour for it, because the driver said the usual expresses were being rerouted to serve the subway people.

"I was an hour late for work," she said, "and I was docked pay. It's not fair at all. Everything's just messed up because of that damn subway."

The flood, which closed all Blue Line stations between Federal Triangle and Stadium-Armory, was perhaps most unfortunate for subway commuters living in southern and eastern parts of the city.

Jerry Robinson, who works for the Department of Energy near the Federal Triangle station and lives close to the flood-closed Eastern Market stop, was forced to take a taxi to work.

"I didn't know anything about any special buses," he said, "and I think Metro should reimburse my cab fare. It's downright ridiculous and exasperating what Metro is doing to this town.

'It's the most convenient way for me to get to and from work," he said, 'but I swear they always manage to make it an, inconvenience. What a joke."

It seemed that many nonbelivers in Metro were even further entrenched in their convictions after yesterday's water calamity.

Debra Morgante and Susan Smith, employed in the personnel department of the Department of Transportation, usually carpool to work from Virginia, and have low regard for the subway.

"Everytime you look around there's something wrong with it," Morgante said. "Trains stuck, escalators stuck, people stuck, I simply won't touch the thing.

On Capitol Hill, where many government officials and politicians were inconvenienced by the partially closed subway system, it was business as usual in the morning after delayed commuters straggled in late to work.

For one official who works for a congressman in the Longworth House Office Building, the flood was the final straw. He said Metro was so unreliable he wouldn't use it anymore.

"I know Ted Lutz very well," he said, referring to Metro's general manager, " and I don't want my name used in the paper. But he knows exactly how I feel.