An 18-year-old man fom Vienna, Va., and a 19-year-old from Landover have been arrested in connection with the throat-slashing and robbery of four persons last month in a Fairfax County apartment.

The two men, Phillip Anthony Boyd, 18, and Andrew E. Porter, 19, and three as yet unapprehended suspects apparently were looking for drugs in the apartment but found none, police alleged yesterday. The police also speculated that the alleged attempt to slay all four victims was prompted by the fact that Boyd was acquainted with at least one of them.

"Boyd knew the people," a police spokeswoman said. "He though there was a lot of money in the apartment.He had been over there once. The robbers thought that there were drugs but there weren't.

Both men were arrested over the weekend and each has been charged with four counts of attempted murder, armed robbery, attempted abduction, and the use of a firearm during the commission of a felony in connection with the robbery and slashings, police said.

Police declined to release the names of the three unapprehended suspects, all of whom live in Washington.

All four victims were in the third-floor apartment at 9136 Barrick St. on Aug. 28 when one of them answered a knock on the door at about 2:30 p.m., police said. Five men, two armed with pistols, robbed the victims of watches, cash and rings, forced the four into separate areas of the apartment - a closet, a bedroom, a bathroom and a den - then bound their hands, placed towels over the heads and slashed their throats. The four victims have since been released from the hospital, officials said.

Police said one of the robbers was heard to tell his accomplices, "Make sure you cut the jugular vein."

Late Thursday night Fairfax County detectives arrived at the home of one of Boyd's relatives, saying that, "they were hunting Phillip about a little job be done," his great uncle, Eddie Boyd said yesterday.

Phillip Boyd, who was normally "in and out" of the old white frame house at 9925 Corsica St., ienna, was not home at the time, the great uncle said. But the next day police arrested Boyd at 7 a.m. while he sat on the curb in front of the house, according to the great uncle.

Following Boyd's arrest. Prince George's County police arrested Porter on a fugitive warrant from Fairfax County on Saturday, police said.

Boyd's relatives said his father died and that his mother lives in a new apartment complex near Lee Highway in Fairfax County.

Boyd, who has a tattoo on his right arm saying "Boyd" according to court records, was in a correctional institution in Richmond for about seven months when he was 17, his great-uncle said.

"He was O.K.," another relative said. "He got into little things like fighting. No major things, nothing like this."

"We tried to give him everything," his great-uncle said. "But there was nothing we could do to help."

The great uncle said he believed Boyd attended the Louise Archer and Wolftrap Elementary schools. Another relative said Boyd had been a student at Madison High School.

Neighbors near 2632 Columbia Place Landover, the address listed by police as that of Porter, said yesterday they did not knew anyone named Porter who lived nearby. His occupation could not be learned yesterday.

The victims in the incident are Stephen Dowell, 20, of 9136 Barrick St. renter of the apartment where the robbery and slashing occurred: Laura Bombere, 13, of 3139 Highland La., Fairfax: and David C. Perash, 20, a former Northern Virginia resident who now lives in Hanover Pa.

The fourth victim, Debra Telford, 20, of 2530 Leeds Rd., Oakton, is a student at George Mason University who works at a Fairfax Circle movie theater as an usher and ticker taker. Telford was able to free herself shortly after the robbers left, police said. Telford, a blood-stained towel wrapped around the next managed to alert a neighbor who called police, police said.

Boyd is being held without bond in Fairfax County jail, police said yesterday, while Porter is being held in lieu of $100,000 bond in Prince George's County jail pending an extradition hearing today to determine whether he should be transferred to Fairfax County.