Elton Leon Grant, a self-made Washington businessman and the father of two young daughters, was buried yesterday, five days after he was fatally shot by holdup men while a dozen police officers on stakeout looked on helplessly.

Bishop Earl W. Edwards, who conducted the funeral service at the Faith Bible Church, 14th Street and Maryland Avenue NE, characterized the 30-year-old Grant as a man who was "willing to lay his life on the line and to be out front; he didn't fear what people would do to him, he was not afraid."

"In a few days, what was in the dark will come to light and things will unfold as to the details of the case and the reason why it happened to him," Edwards told the mourners during the emotional service.

Grant, who was under the close surveillance of at least a dozen police officers, was shot and killed Friday outside the Park Road branch of the Riggs National bank while cooperating in a police stakeout.

According to police, Grant had reported to them two weeks before the shooting that he knew an attempt would be made to rob him as he made his routine Friday trip to the bank.

Minutes after the services ended yesterday, Assistant District Police Chief Bernard Crooke issued an order that will require his personal approval of any case in which private citizens are used as decoys or in any case in which their lives may be put in jeopardy.

The order would require extensive review through several levels of the department before it reaches Crooke's desk. It was described as interim in nature, and will remain in effect at least until the police investigation of Grant's death is completed.

Crooke attended Grant's funeral as did Insp. Huston Bigelow, director of community relations, and Capt. Ronald E. Crytzer. Crytzer was in charge of the operation in which Grant was killed.

"We are here to honor the man because of his services to the city and to the police department," Crooke said outside the church. "We are here to offer some of our personal prayers. He put himself out front when others stayed in the crowd."

Crooke told a reporter that "following the Grant shooting, we are going to make an in-depth study of this operation plus other operations to see if they can minimize the risk taken by private individuals who participate.

"At the same time, we might uncover any major or minor tactical error that happened during the operation," Crooke added.

But Crooke added that from the results of the review so far, it appears that extensive planning had gone into an operation that was well managed.

"We can't turn aside offers such as his, but we must be certain that we do everything possible to reduce the risk to the minimum," Crooke said. "His aid and that of those like him is invaluable to law enforcement."

During the service, Bishop Edwards eulogized Grant as "a man of detail, a man who thoroughly planned what he was going to do. He was dependable, and when he said he was going to do something, he would do it."

Grant's wife, Ruth, and their two children, Terri, 11, and Kelly, 3, along with several other close relatives were escorted from the church to limousines parked outside. Grant's burial in Fourt Lincoln Cemetery in Brentwood followed.

Grant was a native of North Carolina who established a business here after a series of short-term jobs led him to the career he wanted.

Three men are being held without bail in connection with Grant's death.

One man, Arthur Swan, of 6305 Kilmer St., Cheverly, is in D.C. jail under preventive a detention pending a determination by a parole board whether to revoke his parole granted for an earlier offense.

Two other men, Melvin Gary Stewart, 23, of 1132 Seventh St. NE, and Leonard James Anderson, 23, of 51 T St. NE, are being held under a five-day hold privision. Under the D.C. Code this provision allows law enforcement officials to hold persons whose patterns of behavior are seen as endangering the community, said Henry Greene, chief of the D.C. Superior Court Division of the U.S. attorney's office.