Employes of Excavation Construction Inc. a firm that received lenient treatment from Judge Robert H. Campbell on hundreds of overweight truck tickets, helped move the judge to his current home at 2130 Sudbury Pl. NW, according to men who said they participated in the move.

Two men, one who worked for Excavation Construction at the time of the move and another who is still employed there, said they and others did the moving, on company time, in a truck rented by the huge construction firm.

Campbell, whose handling of overweight truck tickets in D.C. Superior Court is currently being investigated by a federal grand jury, declined to respond to questions about the move yesterday.

"I don't care to talk to you. You may print whatever you choose," said the judge yesterday when asked about the move. Judge Campbell threw an unopened letter from The Washington Post containing written questions about the circumstances of the move into the hall from the door to his chambers.

Campbell purchased his current home in August, 1975, but the exact date of his move into the house could not be determined.

The grand jury investigation of Campbell covers a period of almost two years beginning in October, 1975. During that time Campbell suspended or revoked thousands of dollars worth of overweight truck fines for Excavation Construction Inc. Following a four-month FBI investigation, a federal grand jury here began investigating whether Campbell's handling of the tickets for the firm involved any criminal misconduct.

The move, which sources said federal investigators were not aware of, might have cost at least $300 to $500 if it had been handled by a standard commercial moving firm, according to several moving companies.

Campbell moved from 6500 7th Pl. NW, near Georgia Avenue and Piney Branch Road to his new home off 16th Street on a cul-de-sac near Rock Creek Park. The house is a large red brick rambler with white trim.

"Excavation Construction rented a truck. They took three of us up there," said James Robinson, a former driver who recently lost his job with the company. "One of our supervisors went with us, and we moved a judge," said Robinson, who identified the judge as Campbell from an array of photographs.

Robinson said he didn't remember the streets involved but described the location of the house that the judge moved from as near Georgia Avenue and Piney Branch Road and identified the new location as off of 16th Street.

The move took place about two or three years ago, said Robinson. Robinson said he didn't remember exactly when the move occurred but that the weather was warm. "It was like August or September," he said.

"I don't remember where we moved him from or to but I know we moved him," said James Hawkins an Excavation Construction driver who said he drove the truck. Hawkins said the move occurred "a couple of years ago" and that the weather had been warm. He guessed that it might have been in the spring.

Hawkins said positively that the man he helped move was Judge Campbell. "I saw his name around the house, and his son said it was Judge Campbell," he said.

The supervisor who participated in the move, according to the others was a man named Junior Jones. "Junior picked us and told us we had to do a moving job," said Robinson, who said that no reason was given for the unusual work assignment.

"The only thing I could see was a favor being done," said Robinson. "Why would a company move a District of Columbia employe?"

Robinson said, and the other men confirmed, that their time during the day-long move had been paid for by Excavation Construction.

The grand jury investigation was begun after a four-month-long FBI probe turned up what appeared to be a pattern of favortism by Campbell for Excavation Construction sources said. Company officials, including president John W. Lyon, have been called to testify before the grand jury and records of the firm also have been subpoenaed.

Law enforcement authorities have estimated that as many as 1,400 tickets - each carrying fines of $100 to $300 - may have been issued to Excavation Construction between October 1975 and May 1977. Although the company repeatedly acknowledged the violations, court records indicate that Campbell consistently suspended imposition of fines. On some occasions, he diposed of in one day as many as 121 tickets issued to the company.

Campbell is also under investigation by the city's judicial tenure commission for alleged judicial misconduct in his handling of traffic tickets for firms with large fleets of vehicles, the Post has previously reported. The panel can remove, publicly reprimand or otherwise discipline an errant judge.

Excavation Construction Inc. is the target of another federal probe. A wide-ranging investigation of labor racketeering by the U.S. attoney's office in Baltimore has focused on allegations that officers of the firm traded favors with Teamsters officials in return for concessions from the union. That investigation became known publicly when one of the subpoenaed witnesses was slain in Rockville last May.

Paul M. Rhodes, an attorney for the firm, said that he could not confirm or deny whether the company and helped the judge move. "I hadn't heard that and I don't know that there is any substance to it," he said.