Assistant Secretary of State Harold H. Saunders left for Jordan yesterday to present the answers of the United States to questions posed by King Hussein on the Camp David accords.
The State Department said that President Carter had approved the answers but did not say what they were or when they might be disclosed. "What happens to them afterward remains to be decided," said department official George Sherman.
Saunders will meet personally with Hussein in Amman, so that he can explain the answers and deal with any further questions the king may have, Sherman told a press briefing.
Hussein disclosed the questions - more than two dozens of them - on Oct. 1 on CBS News' "Face the Nation" after sending them to American officials in Washington.
For the most part, the questions either sought further elaboration on elements of the Camp David accords or brought up issues not mentioned in the final documents signed by Egypt, Israel and the United States. Some of the questions touched, for example, on Jerusalem; Syria's Golan Heights, which is occupied by Israel, and Palestinian self-determination.
At the presidential press conference last Tuesday, Carter said he had seen Hussein reading out his three pages of questions on the television program but had not yet responded to them.
They are in the process of being assessed by the State Department," Carter said. He went on to say he had not yet received the questions "personally. But I know basically what is in them."
"We have been trying to induce them Jordanians, and to some lesser degree the Palestinians who live on the West Bank-Gaza Strip area, to participate in the talks" among Egypt, Israel and the United States that began here Thursday, Carter said.
Those talks continued Saturday and yesterday on an informal basis in the Madison Hotel, where both the Egyptian and Israel delegations are staying, Sherman told the briefing.
He said that agreement has been reachedon "a number of the articles" in the draft for a peace treaty that the United States put before negotiators for the two Mideast nations. Both countries have accepted the draft as what he has called "the vehicle for negotiations."
At the same time, Sherman said, "differences do remain on certain of the articles." The official, who is the spokesman for all three delegations, declined to say that either the agreed-upon or disputed articles are.
Sherman characterized the work being done by the negotiators as "serious and systematic" and "within the Camp David framwork." In this context, "progress continues," but more is needed to achieve "total agreement," Sherman said.
Participating in the informal talks yesterday were Foreign Ministers Boutrous Ghali of Egypt and Moshe Dayan of Israel. They ended a 1 1/2 hour meeting at 11:30 a.m., held a second meeting at 12:30 p.m., and then together called on Egypt's new defense minister, Lt. Gen. Kamal Hassan Ali, for a third discussion.
The subjects included details of withdrawal of Israel military forces from the Sinai and arrangements to source the area from attack. Meanwhile, legal advisers to all three delegations worked on treaty language.
Again informally, a fifth around of talks is to be held today.
In Jerusalem, Washington Post correspondent William Claiborne reported an announcement by the Israeli Cabinet that the discussions in Washington will be joined by Supreme Court Justice Aharaon Barak, who played a key role in all of the negotiations leading up to the Camp David accords.
Because of his judicial commitments, Barak two week ago had declined a request by Prime Minister Menachem Begin to accompany Dayan and Defense Minister Ezer Wiezman to Washington. Israeli government sources said Barak reconsidered and will join the delegation after the Succoth Jewish holiday.
Barak, who previously negotiated as Israel's attorney general was sworn into the Supreme Court immediately after returning from the Camp David negotiations.