Some of the survivors mill aimlessly about their hotel. Others hide in their dingy, hot and humid rooms, opening their doors a crack for food and then slamming them shut again in fear. Still others talk quietly with reporters, telling their horrible stories over and over without emotion.

When word comes, through a meteograhed U.S. Embassy press release, that the bodies of about 400 more of their friends and relatives just have been found, there is no sobbing, no tears.

By now many are numb, like Jerry Parks, one of the 19 Jonestown residents who got out with the other survivors of the massacre last Saturday at the Port Kaituma airstrip.

"We are just waiting to wake up and find it was all a dream," he said, folding the press release neatly in half as he talks.

It has been nearly a week since they got out, and another emotion is beginning to take hold: the anger and frustration that seems inevitable when bureaucracy confronts human tragedy.

After their ordeal - Parks saw his wife Patricia shot to death at point-blank range at Port Kaituma as she tried to leave with a congressional fact-finding mission - the survivors were moved from one lodging to another, and to yet another.

At the same time one official would tell them they were free to leave, another would tell them they were not.

"We asked the United States and they say it's up to the Guyanese," said Dale Parks, Jerry Parks' 27-year-old son. "We ask the Guyanese and they say we're in the hands of the U.S. Embassy. It doesn't seem possible to get someone here to explain why."

In the space of one hour today, for example, there were two contradictory messages. One consular official, in front of reporters, informed the survivors that as far as he knew, they could leave Guyana.

Less than half a block away, the U.S. consul, Douglas Ellis, said in an interview that the Guyanese authorities still required the presence of the sruvivors.

"It's perfectly reasonable for the police to want to hold material witnesses for a couple of days," Ellis said.

"Can you believe that 422 dead bodies have arrived in Delaware before we've even left Georgetown?" Dale Parks asked.

Amid it all, the survivors are being reminded by the State Department that they will be billed for their hotel accomodations and transportation when they get back home.

"It's a new program," said Ellis, "called EMDAP - Emergency Medical and Dietary Program. The government will help you but you sign a promissory note. If you can repay the government, you are expected to."

Peoples Temple adherents the Jonestown residents gave all their possessions to their cause. Clare Janaro, who believes two of her children perished in Jonestown, said her family even donated its home in Redwood Valley, Calif.

Janaro's husband, Richard, was lucky enough to have left the camp on a supply mission by boat before the visit of Rep. Leo Ryan (D-Calif.) that touched off the tragedy. She said her husband is now in Trinidad, along with three other Jonestown residents who accompanied him on the boat, the Albatross.

Mrs. Janaro, who had stayed behind in California when her husband and children moved to Jonestown, flew to Guyana last Saturday to join her family on the 16th birthday of her oldest child.

"I had lots of lovely letters from the children. My daughter used to take care of the small animals and my son was having a wonderful time working in the machine shop. It sounded like a tropical paradise."

"I was moving down. I came in Saturday night and no one met me. I went to the Tower Hotel and found out what happened.

"Now I'm desperate," she said, sobbing uncontrollably. "I am desperate. Just get us some help. Get us some help down here. Why did I do it? Why did I send my babies down here?"

Many of the survivors wondered today why they had not seen through the Rev. Jim Jones' operation before the tragedy occured.The signs were there from the beginning, they said.

"They described it as a tropical paradise," said Jerry Parks, 45, "but when we first arrived they met us at the gate with guns.

"We weren't allowed to write our relatives much and when we did, they'd stand over us watching what we wrote."

Jones "required everyone, the women too, to admit that they were homosexuals even though they weren't. He said everyone was a homosexual but he (Jones) was the only heterosexual."

Some of the survivors remarked that there were no religious services or discussions of religion at Jonestown despite the purportedly Christian mission of Jones' "Church."

Edith Parks, the 64-year-old mother of Jerry Parks, also recalled the bizarre "white night" suicide rehearsed ritual. About five months ago, she recalled, a California newspaper reported that relatives of Jonestown residents were "coming to get us dead or alive."

"We stayed up all night in the pavilion waiting for them to come. All the time Jones was asking us if we were ready to die."

Many of the survivors in the group of 19 here expressed some relief upon learning today that most of the bodies had been found. Some said they hoped it would end their wait and allow them to return home to the United States.