The U.N. Security Council today criticized Israel for a "lack of cooperation" as it approved extension of its peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon until June 19.

The 15-member council was clearly unhappy that the 5,852 U.N. troops, approved for southern Lebanon 10 months ago had been unable to restore Lebanese control and blamed Israel and its Lebanese Christian allies.

The Council voted 12-0 to extend the peacekeeping mission but warned that it will meet again within three months "to assess the situation" -- an indication that it is growing impatient and could abandon the Lebanon operation.

The Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia abstained and China did not participate in the vote.

In other Middle East developments:

Egypt condemned Israel's raid into Lebanon as "naked aggression" and said it "constitutes a serious threat to peace," the Middle East News Agency reported.

In Washington, the State Department said it "regretted" the raid and asked Israel and its Lebanese Christian addies to support the U.N. peacekeeping forces.

Former president Gerald Ford had lunch in Damascus with Syrian President Hafez Assad before flying back to Aswan, Egypt, for more talks with President Anwar Sadat.

The Palestine National Council, highest body of the Palestine Liberation Organization, approved unanimously a political agenda that included allowing renewed contacts with Jordan.