Fairfax City officials said yesterday the spectacular $1 million blaze that destroyed the popular Bachelors 2 nightculb and restaurant March 20 was caused by arson.

"We have initial confirmation that there were accelerants [chemicals that speed the spread of a fire] used," Fire Marshal Joseph Gebauer said yesterday. "Based on those results we can issue the statement that the fire was an arson fire."

Gebauer declined to elaborate on the findings, resulting from tests by a state laboratory. A source familiar with the investigation said the tests had indicated that gasoline was used in the fire.

On March 15, a hearing officer from the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board had ordered the restaurant's liquor license revoked within 10 days. An ABC spokesman said Bachelors 2 did not file an appeal of the order.

The hearing officer said the night club's receipts from liquor sales far exceeded those for food sales, a violation of state law.

The hearing officer said the night club's receipts from liquor sales far exceeded those for food sales, a violation of state order.

The owners of Bachelors 2, Mohammad (Sam) Habibi and two brothers, Manuotcher (Manny) and Hamib Rahnama, were unavailable for comment yesterday.

Habibi and the Rahnamas also own a Bachelors 2 in Manassas, where they are building a third restaurant. Habibi previously has been a partner in several D.C. area restaurants.