An auxiliary police officer from suburban Cleveland who surrendered Thursday night to his younger brother, an Arlington policeman, will be returned to Ohio today to face charges he kidnaped and killed a wealthy supermarket executive.

Michael G. Levine, 35, appeared briefly in Arlington General District Court yesterday and waived extradition about 13 hours after he turned himself in to his brother on the sidewalk outside an Alexandria hotel.

His brother, Patrolman James Levine, 30, interrupted a Florida vacation to play a key role in the arrest, fellow officers said yesterday.

The former president of a Cleveland chemical firm, Levine is charged with two counts of kidnaping and murder in the death Wednesday of Julius Kravitz, 68, board chairman of First National Supermarkets Inc., a large grocery chain. If convicted, Levine could receive the death penalty.

Few details of the arrest were disclosed yesterday morning during Levine's brief court appearance. But at a press conference, Arlington Police Captain Lendel H. Holsclaw said that Levine wandered into the county's police station the night before he was arrested.

It was not until a police officer read a story in the next day's Washington Post that the officer realized Levine was being sought in connection with the celebrated murder, Holsclaw said.

Police then called James Levine, vacationing in Florida and began a stakeout at a South Arlington apartment, hoping to locate his brother. The brother returned to the Washington area and, apparently through the help of family friends, found his brother, police said.

Michael Levine had flown to Washington from Pittsburgh Wednesday night, according to Arlington police. That was a day after Kravitz and his wife, Georgina, 55, were abducted at gunpoint from an apartment by two men wearing police uniforms. Levine is an auxiliary police officer for Cleveland Heights, a Cleveland suburb, authorities said.

Accompanied by Steve Holl, another Arlington policeman, and a Cleveland attorney, James Levine met his brother outside the Holiday Inn in Old Town Alexandria where he was registered. After a brief discussion, the older Levine agreed to surrender. The four men drove back to the Arlington station where Michael Levine was arrested on a fugitive warrant.

Shaker Heights Police Chief George Lamboy said that Kravitz was shot about six hours after the Tuesday morning kidnaping when he apparently balked at giving the kidnapers $1 million in ransom.

His wife, shot twice in the arms, is hospitalized in satisfactory condition, Lamboy said.

An other suspect in the case, John A. File, 26, of Cleveland, surrendered Thursday to Akron police. File is described as a former employ of MultiChem Industries, a firm Michael Levine once headed.

Officer Levine declined to discuss the case with reporters yesterday. CAPTION: Picture, MICHAEL G. LEVINE . . . surrendered to his brother