With one month remaining before Mayor Marion Barry's well - publicized youth summer jobs program is scheduled to begin, only half of the 30,000 jobs Barry planned have materialized.

Barry's aides in charge of five programs expected to create the summer jobs blame the U.S. Congress, the D.C. City Council, federal agencies, the D.C. Board of Education and the Washington business community for creating problems for the expanded summer jobs program.

Last summer the city provided 15,000 summer jobs for young people. During his election campaign last year Barry repeatedly promised to double the jobs to 30,000 this summer if he were elected mayor.

As mayor now he has staked a major problem of the expanded summer job program on a supplemental budget request to Congress that is not certain of passage.

In addition, critics charge that city officials have taken the slightest mention of possible job openings as a firm commitment and pledge when non was intended.

As an illustration of the difficulty, the city planned on getting 2,000 jobs from the local business community through the Metropolitan Washington Board of Trade.

But, after going through a list of jobs, Matthew F. Shannon, acting director of the D.C. Department of Labor has concluded that fewer than 600 of the jobs could be filled by young people.

"Some of the jobs are go-go dancing jobs," Shannon said. "We can't refer a 14- or 15-year-old to dance at one of these grills." Other jobs on the list include telephone solicitors, employment that is physically dangerous or jobs that require as much as two years of computer training, Shannon said.

Henry Loss, metropolitan director for the National Alliance of Businessmen, which is coordinating the business jobs program, said the business community had not guaranteed or pledged the jobs but only identified the openings.

Another business official said, "Our function is to identify jobs, We're not in the placement business. What we identify is not a pledge as such. They don't say they'll hold the job open. They (employers) have the right, privilege and the option to hire someone the minute they hang up the phone (after identifying the job).

"We're running far ahead of where we were last year," Shannon said, "But because of all the situations beyond our control, we're not going to reach our 30,000 if we go on the course we're going on."

As of last week, 31,000 young people had applied for 30,000 promised jobs.

Shannon estimated that the program could fall 6,000 jobs short.

A survey of the program shows it could be worse. More than 11,000 of the planned 30,000 jobs were to come from a special appropriation that Barry requested from Congress in February.

But the City Council cut more than 2,000 jobs from that proposal and Congress is yet to act on the funding for the remainder. Congressional approval is not certain and final action is likely to come after the mayor's summer jobs program is scheduled to begin on June 28.

Other problems in the summer jobs programs include:

CETA jobs. The city already has received $10.2 million to provide 13,500 jobs for low-income young people through the federally funded Comprehensive Employment and Training Act (CETA) program. However, only 10,000 of those jobs have been filled, in part because many poor families decline to submit to the required income verification procedures.

Federal jobs. The city expected to get 2,000 jobs from federal agencies and departments here, but the job interviews have just begun. As a result, only 814 real jobs have been identified and only 140 of those have been filled, according to city officials.

School jobs. The school board drew up plans to add 2,000 summer jobs for high school graduates using money saved during the recent 23-day school strike. But the board later scuttled the plan, deciding to spend the money on persons still in the troubled school system.

D.C. jobs. The city itself planned to provide 1,000 jobs in the D.C. government agencies; already 1,400 openings have been identified. But the city again is relying on congressional funding of the supplemental budget request, so few of the jobs can be filled now.

Classes in the city schools are expected to end June 14 and during the summer and estimated 60,000 young people aged 14 to 21 will be out of school and looking for work.

Barry's campaign promise to double the number of jobs in the summer program resulted from the fact that in 1978 about 29,000 young people had applied for the 15,000 city-sponsored jobs. He promised that if elected mayor he would double the number of available jobs to 30,000.

Barry said Friday that there is frustration among the city's youth about summer jobs and the approaching summer appears to be increasing that frustration.

"It's getting hot," Barry said, "and they don't have any jobs."

Some of those frustrations were evident Friday among the people outside Roosevelt High School, at 13th and Upshur Streets NW, where a city youth jobs registration mobile office was taking applications.

Virdella Maple, 16, said she had been "waiting since Friday" to find out if she has a job. "I gave them proof of income and everything else they wanted," she said. "Some of my classmates signed up after me and they've got jobs now."

Postal worker Tommy Terrell II of Queen Street in Northeast Washington said he has spent three hours a day, a couple of days a week, for the last few weeks driving from school to school with his four teen-age children, who are looking for work.

"We need a new program (like the one proposed by Barry)," Terrell said. "My kids have been putting in (applications) every year and still not got nothing."

On the basketball court one youth who identified himself only as Ronnie, said he had applied for a summer job last year and never received a response. "This year, I'm not wasting my time," he said, turning away to continue his game of basketball.

Whatever their final number, the jobs are destined to provide employment 25 hours a week for eight weeks over the summer. Most persons 14 and 15 years old will be paid $2.65 an hour. Those 16 and older will earn $2.90 an hour.

A plan to pay the higher $2.90-an-hour rate to the 14 and 15-year-olds was abandoned after Rep. Charles Wilson (D-Tex.), chairman of the House District appropriations subcommittee, opposed the higher payment.

Wilson's subcommittee is expected to act on Barry's supplemental budget request, which includes the reduced funding request for some 9,000 jobs, by mid-June. If the proposal wins approval in both the House and Senate it would not go to President Carter until early July.

That means the Barry administration would have to delay that part of the jobs program or find the money elsewhere in the city budget.

Assistant City Administrator Gladys W. Mack, the city's budget director, said it would be difficult for the money to be found.

City officials were especially critical of the federal government, which has delivered only a small number of the jobs that were promised.

"That's the place where we're really having a real problem," said Audrey Rowe, Barry's special assistant for youth affairs. "We'rejust not getting the response that we had hoped to have. Either they don't have the money in the budgets or they're rehiring the kids they had last year."

The most successful part of the jobs program to date has been the CETA slots for low-income persons. As of Friday, Shannon said, more than 10,000 of those who had been certified as eligible had been matched with available jobs.

Rowe said that the family income verification process, which sometimes requires presentation of either a paycheck stub or an income tax return, is despised by some applicants.

"The real problem for many of the kids is that they don't want to apply for a job because, they say, 'I don't want all my friends to know my momma's poor.' There's a real stigma attached," Rowe said. "Mothers have come in and said. 'No. Just take my word for it, but I ain't bringing in no pay stub.'"

Although it was not part of Barry's program, a proposal by School Superintendent Vincent E. Reed to provide 2,000 jobs for graduates of D.C. high schools with $2 million saved during the recent school strike was considered a "windfall" to the summer jobs effort by Barry aides.

The program, named the Summer Work Experience Program, was designed by school administration officials to offer selected June graduates "meaningful work experience" in various technological, educational and artistic areas.

However, two weeks ago, the school board rejected the summer jobs program.

Some school board members reportedly were upset because Reed did not seek their approval before proposing the plan. But Board President Minnie S. Woodson said the board preferred to use the money to help children still in the schools rather than have the school system become an "employment agency" for its most recent graduates.

Barry said Friday that he is hoping to make a proposal to the school board soon that could resurrect the school jobs plan or a similar plan.

"It was a real big blow," Shannon said of the board's rejection.

Sam Jordan, the mayor's principal community troubleshooter, said some of the high hopes created among city youth by Barry's frequent promises of 30,000 jobs, had been dashed by reports of the school board's refusal to adopt the summer jobs plan.

Shannon, the city's labor director, said he did not believe the Barry administration had been too ambitious in pushing a zealous summer jobs program.

"If you look at the universe (of 60,000 unemployed youth), to say we would try to employ half of those people if all the variables fell in place, is not unrealistic." Shannon said. "In view of all the hardships and bumps we've gotten as a new administration, I don't think we should fall too short of it.

"We felt there was a way to hire that many young people, realistically. If all the variables had come together we could have done that. I think we didn't raise any false hopes." CAPTION: Picture 1, MAYOR MARION BARRY; Picture 2, REP. CHARLES WILSON