A 20-year-old Northeast Washington woman, who police say had "very strong personal feelings about possessing a baby," was charged yesterday with the kidnaping Friday night of a day-old boy from George Washington University Hospital.

Police identified the woman as Sharon Victoria Rector of 1130 Morse St, NE and said they had arrested her there at 3:10 yesterday afternoon. They said she lived there with her parents.

The baby was recovered safely Monday night in a rendezvous between the accused kidnaper's brother and police in Fort Dupont Park in Southeast Washington.

Parts of the puzzle of the kidnaping fell into place yesterday when George Washington Hospital officials said that Rector had been treated for stomach pains late Friday afternoon at the hospital's emergency room.

One hospital source, who asked not to be identified, said Rector was not admitted to the hospital, but was "sent elsewhere [in the hospital] for an examination and she did not leave the hospital [immediately] following that."

At a news conference at District police headquarters yesterday afternoon, Capt. Ronald Crytzer, commander of the robbery squad, said Rector "observed the child in the hospital . . . [and] had a strong personal attachment to the child."

The baby was reunited with his parents, Linda Jackson, 24, and Walthon C. Lee, 22, late Monday night at Children's Hospital, where the then four-day-old baby was rushed after police recovered him at the rendezvous.

Police would not identify Rector's brother, who they said acted as the go-between with an unindentified companion.

Crytzer said that Rector's brother and the companion have not been charged, but that they are being questioned. Crytzer said Rector does not know either of the baby's parents.

The kidnaper apparently gave up the infant willingly Monday out of "concern for the child's welfare," Crytzer said. He said he did not know where the child was kept from Friday night through Monday.

A young boy playing on his bicycle in front of the colorful row of town houses along Morse Street said a police car pulled up to number 1130 yesterday and a young woman was escorted out.

Few neighbors appeard to know anything of the residents of 1130 Morse St. except to say they had moved in within the last year.

"Don't nobody really know them," said one neighbor.

"They don't bother anybody. They just keep to themselves," said another neighbor who has lived across the street for 11 years.

Johnny B. Thomas, who was described by neighbors as a Park Service Painter, said last night that he is Rector's stepfather.

"I can't tell you anything because 'i didn't know anything until I was told to come down" to the police station, Thomas said. "And I still don't know anything."

The events that led to the child's return began unfolding at 2:25 p.m. Monday when police said they received a call from an unidentified woman who said she might know where the baby was. Two detectives met with the caller, who led them to Rector's brother and another man, both of whom offered to assist police.

Detectives met with Rector's brother and the other man until 8 p.m. Monday night arranging the rendezvous, which they set for 9 p.m. at a location near Fort DuPont Park.

However, 30 minutes later, a resident of the park area saw two men wth the blanket-wrapped baby and alerted the U.S. Park Police, who converged on the area with D.C. policemen.

The rendezvous was only slightly disrupted, however. Decectives working on the case arrived shortly thereafter and took the baby to Children's Hospital for the reunion with the parents.

The dramatic kidnaping case began with the mysterious disappearance of the baby from his mother's hospital room.

The mother told police that she received a telephone call in her third floor room from a woman who told her to come to the nearby obstetrics area to sign some papers.

Jackson said she left the baby in his hospital crib while she made the one-minute walk. However, when she got to the obstetrics area, she was told she was mistaken and that there were no papers to sign.

By the time Jackson returned to the room, the infant was gone.

Police believed the kidnaper saw the baby during an unauthorized stroll on the hospital's third floor and lured Jackson away long enough to grab the child and leave the hospital.

Police said there is no evidence that relatives of the child were involved in his disappearance.

The child's mother, Jackson, is a clerk for the District school system and the father works as a security officer.

Late yesterday, Rector was fingerprinted. As she was escorted down a police building corridor, she was wearing a brown hat that covered her face, a plaid shirt, pants and clog shoes. She was expected to be transferred to the D.C. Women's Detention Center.

Also contributing to this story was staff writer Art Harris.