Palestinian guerrilla chief Yasser Arafat will meet in New York next month with a high-ranking American official, possibly Secretary of State Cyrus Vance, a Kuwaiti newspaper reported yesterday.

The daily Al Qabas, quoting "authoritative Palestinian sources" in Kuwait, said the meeting was arranged in direct contacts between the two sides.

Arafat, chairman of the Palestinian Liberation Or ganization, is due in New York in September to address the U.N. General Assembly, the paper said.

A State Department spokeswoman said she was aware of the Al Qabas report but could not confirm that Arafat was coming to New York next month.

She said, "Our policy on meeting with PLO officials has not changed." Such meetings are ruled out, she said, until the PLO recognizes Israel's right to exist.

She declined to discuss reports of recent U.S. maneuvers to bring the PLO around to just such a position, thereby meeting the U.S. condition for direct talks.

Such a meeting is likely to infuriate the Israelis, already angry about what they see as Carter administration overtures toward the Palestinians and the PLO. On Tuesday, Israeli Foreign Minister Moshe Dayan accused the United States of softening its stand on the PLO in order to guarantee increased oil supplies from Saudi Arabia.

There were these other Middle East developments:

The mayor of Ramallah in the Israeli-occupied West Bank told a Jordanian newspaper that the United States has adopted a policy of tension and instability in the Middle East to secure its interests in the area.

President Carter has assured Lebanese President Elias Sarkis that the United States will not allow Israel to launch another invasion of southern Lebanon, a usually well-informed Beirut paper said. An Nahar, an independent daily, said the pledge was contained in a personal message delivered to Sarkis by the U.S. ambassador on Friday.

Israeli Foreign Minister Dayan was admitted to a hospital for treatment of his vocal cords. Since an operation for removal of a cancerous growth in his stomach more than a month ago, Dayan has spoken with a hoarse voice. Doctors said this was the result of breathing tubes inserted in his throat during the operation.