An incorrect photograph was published in yesterday's editions accompanying an article on antidraft plans. The picture was meant to be that of David E. Landau, American Civil Liberties Union counsel and vice chairman of the Committee Against Registration and the Draft, but was of another David Landau, author of a book on Henry A. Kissinger.
An antidraft coalition yesterday announced plans for a March 22 protest demonstration in Washington as President Carter prepared to court about 300 student leaders from across the country at the White House today.
White House officials said the students' gathering had been planned for months and was not prompted by concern over opposition to Carter's proposal to reinstate registration for the draft, which the president called a "gross overreaction" at his news conference Wednesday night. But they said the registration proposal would be discussed.
The protest demonstration is being organized by a group that calls itself national Mobilization Against the Draft (MAD), combining students, politicians, women's groups and religious activists into a coalition reminiscent of Vietnam era protests.
"The question, 'Do you want registration and a draft?' was posed by activists in the late 1960s," said Patrick Lacefield, an organizer of the planned march. "In the 1980s, some of the same people are saying 'no' to President Carter.
If Carter is concerned about overreaction to his registration proposal, Lacefield said, "he hasn't seen anything yet."
Endorsers of the march include the United States Student Association (which claims 3 million members), Americans for Democratic Action, Students for a Libertarian Society, Women's Strike for Peace and at least two members of Congress, Reps. Ronald V. Dellums (D-Calif.) and Robert W. Kastenmeier (D-Wis.). District of Columbia City Council member Hilda Mason also supported the protest.
Carter's plan calls for resumption of draft registration for 19- and 20-year-olds born in 1960 and 1961, for which he has asked Congress to appropriate $45 million. He is also seeking authority to require women born in the same years to register. He has not asked to resume the draft.
Meanwhile, the Committee Against Registration and the Draft (CARD), composed of more than 40 antiwar, religious and other groups, accused the administration of a "baffling" flipflop on the registration issue that could backfire in Congress, in the courts and on college campuses.
The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, chairman of the committee, told reporters at a briefing that the administration at one point had a plan for reaching its mobilization goals without advance registration but deleted it from its report to Congress earlier this week. He said CARD is seeking a copy of the plan under the Freedom of Information Act.
The committee also accused the administration of underestimating the degree of resistance to registration among young people and failing to prepare adequately to cope with it, thereby inviting abuses in the future.
As for Congress, Lynn and David E. Landau, American Civil Liberties Union counsel and vice chairman of CARD, suggested that the administration has also discounted the potential for legislative roadblocks to its money request as well as to its proposed authority to register women. Although leaders of both houses have endorsed the proposals, "the lemmings have not leaped from the cliff to the sea," Lynn said.
Landau suggested that congressional action could well be delayed until after elections in the fall, raising questions about the value of the registration move as a signal of American resolve.
Even if Congress tries to move ahead with registration of men only, as many lawmakers have advocated, they may not have that choice. If the ACLU challenges a males-only registration plan in the courts, it will do so on behalf of men rather than women, seeking to bar Congress from registering men if it won't register women, too.