Hundreds of Afghan high school girls and women college students demonstrated in central Kabul today, shouting antigovernment and anti-Soviet slogans, according to a report reaching here.

The demonstrations were described as the most open display of opposition sentiment since late February, when hundreds were killed in a city-wide uprising against the Soviet occupation.

Both Soviet troops and armed civilian members of the ruling Khalq Party moved into the area to restore order, according to the report.

Rumors sweeping New Delhi that several students at a boys' school in Kabul were killed Sunday by Afghan troops could not be confirmed, the report said.

The demonstrations were said to be the culmination of several recent school incidents. Diplomats speculate that they were part of an attempt to embarrass the government as it celebrated the second anniversary Sunday of the coup that first brought pro-Soviet Marxists to power in Kabul.

The source of the report, who refused to be identified, has been a reliable informant in the past concerning developments in the city.

The report said today's unrest began in the early morning when an estimated 200 teen-age girls from the Zarghuna High School gathered outside the school and began marching toward the Foreign Ministry, less than half a mile away.

They shouted "Death to the Soviets" and "Death to Babrak Karmal" as they marched, according to the report. Babrak was installed as Afghanistan's president following the Soviet invasion. Two Blocks from the school, the procession was ringed by Afghan security forces who tried to halt it.

According to the account, the girls then began throwing rocks at passing vehicles. Two girls were said to have been injured, but it is unclear how. By late morning, their number had dropped to about 100, but in defiance of the civilian and Army force which still surrounded them; the protesters began moving toward the main shopping area.

The armed security forces, apparently reluctant to break up the demonstration by force, moved with the protesters, according to the report.

By this time the high schoolers had been reinforced by a group of college women. When the demonstrators spotted a group of Soviet women shopping, they broke into chants of "Russians go home, Russians go home," the account said.

Shoppers hurriedly left the area and by midday about half the shops in the district reportedly were closed down.

A group of boys from Amani College, apparently trying to join the demonstration, were halted by warning shots from Afghan Army troops before they could leave the college, the report said. The troops then closed the gates to the college, locking the students inside.

Details were vague about how the demonstration ended. The report said about six Soviet and Afghan Army armored personnel carriers were seen speeding toward the scene and armed Soviet troops moved in to back up Khalq Party cadres. Diplomatic sources believed the demonstrations may have been instigated by a faction of the party opposed to Babrak to embarrass him.