All Cuban refugees who fled their "tent city" processing center after a weekend rock-throwing melee were back in custody today, the Air Force reported.
Federal officials and community leaders met to discuss the disturbance that left at least six people injured.
Air Force Capt. Enrique Alegret said three Cubans who fled the center Saturday and another dozen who fled Sunday night were back in custody.
"If they walk in by themselves, all is forgiven, but if they are caught outside the fence, they are treated as illegal aliens," said Capt. Roland Raab. "They could become subject to deportation.
"We know of no more Cuban refugees out of thje camp; but if there are any in the local area, we don't consider them dangerous to anyone."
Eglin officials said between 50 and 100 refugees fled the base during a rock-throwing melee Saturday, but most were brought back quickly. Another 12 refugees managed to creep past beefed-up security patrols Sunday.
Five servicemen and one Cuban received minor injuries Saturday night after a grievance session at "Camp Liberty" erupted into a 30-minute melee, said Maj. John Toner.Outnumbered military guards were pelted with stones, cinder blocks, broken mirrors and pieces of glass.
Some 2,000 refugees stormed the camp's southeastern fence after the grievance session failed to satisfy the Cubans, who have become increasingly restless as the processing drags on.
Dozens of refugees fled through an adjacent baseball field. Most were rounded up by Air Force security police, the Florida Highway Patrol and Okaloosa County sheriff's officers.
Lt. Col. Harry Johnson attributed the violence to "desperate people looking for relief. The problem is in rising expectations . . . They just want to get out."
Although security patrols at Eglin were increased after Saturday's incident, another 12 refugees managed to scale fences Sunday and leave Air Force property according to Sgt. Rex Swenson.
Officials say 8,392 refugees are currently at the processing center while awaiting resettlement.
Raab said 1,150 refugees have been resettled at a rate of 100 to 200 a day. He attributed the slow pace to delays in receiving medical and security clearances, obtaining sponsors and arranging transportation.
At Fort Chafee, Ark. an estimated 200 to 300 Cuban refugees escaped from the relocation center tonight while 300 others ran through the camp, overturning barricades and shouting, officials said.
"We've got Cubans scattered all over the countryside," said a spokesman for the Sebastian County sheriff's office. Earlier, state police reported they had rounded up 40 to 50 refugees who fled the base during the disturbance.
Brig. Gen. James Drummond, commander of the task force at the base, confirmed that more than 200 Cubans fled into the night.
Gov. Bill Clinton alerted state police and the National Guard, saying he had been told a group of Cubans was running through the camp in "a panic sort of state."
But Bill McAda, spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said he was reminded of a college "panty raid" as Cubans ran through the relocation center.
Somebody shouted 'liberty' and off they went," said McAda. "They were laughing and having a big time.
"They used no force and no force was used against them," he said. "There was no damage and nobody was injured."
Meanwhile, the Freedom Flotilla claimed its 26th life when a 19-year-old man died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning aboard the packed pleasure boat St. Christopher, the Coast Guard said.