A former intelligence officer from El Salvador, sought the Immigration and Naturalization Service for being in this country illegally, turned himself in at INS headquarters here yesterday afternoon and is to be deported an INS spokesman said.

Spokesman Vernon Jervis said that Maj. Robert D'Abuisson, whose multiple-entry U.S. visa was revoked last month after the State Department deemed him a danger to the "welfare safety [and] security of the United States," apparently entered the country via a private plane landing in Key West, Fla.

Despite his listing in the INS "looking out book" of foreigners ingeligible for entry, D'Abuisson had received an immigration stamp on a passport in his own name in Key West, Jervis said INS was investigating how that happened.

He said D'Abuisson, whose apparently undiscovered presence here caused considerable embarrassment to INS and the State Department Tuesday when he gave a press conference five blocks from the Capitol, would leave for Guatelmala today after being flown to Miami last night.

D'Abuisson, who was relieved of his duties in the Salvadoran Army following a coup last October, heads a rightwing organization there called the Broad National Front. State Department spokesman John Trattner said yesterday the front is "suspected of being associated with violent activities in El Salvador [and is] believed to have played a leading role in two attempted coups against the Salvadoran government recently.

"Members of the organization," Trattner said, "have made threatening statements publicly against U.S. officials."

D'Abuisson came to Washington to discuss with the press and members of Congress the current political upheaval in El Salvador and his organization's belief that the Carter administration is supporting a move toward communism there.

Following D'Abuisson's press conference, sponsored by the American Legion and the American Security Council Tuesday, INS, received several calls from human rights groups concerned about his apparent evasion of immigration officials.

INS was unable to apprehend D'Abuisson later Tuesday, but apparently was notified that he also had scheduled subsequent meetings with congressman and congressional committee staffs.

"We were aware of an appointment he had [on Capitol Hill] at 4 p.m." yesterday, Jervis said, and INS agents had staked out the office. D'Abuisson did not show up, and informed sources said a public relations agency handling his visit had canceled the appointment earlier, saying that "the press seems to know" his schedule and "we don't want to have him picked up and deported."

In any case, by 4 p.m. D'Abuisson and an attorney were at INS headquarters.