After a day of sporadic rioting, which left 16 military personnel and 42 Cubans injured -- one critically -- the refugee center here was quiet today.
The men, in the single-male quarters where the serious trouble began, today boiled over outdoor fires in the 90-plus heat and sang songs; the women hung clothes on the line.
At the camp, spokesmen said, "it's calmed down. Almost business as usual."
Nonetheless, an unusually tight lid of security remained. Five hundred additional military men ordered in by President Carter continued to arrive from Fort Bragg, bringing the total of military personnel on the base to over 2,000. Sixteen FBI investigators have been sent in and military men walked the roofs of the barracks, displaying their weapons. Visitors were forbidden to enter the refugee compound. They were not allowed to talk to Cubans from across the barricade, not even under the eye of a military escort.
Military personnel arrested 14 Cuban men in connection with Tuesday's outbreak, charging them either with inciting a riot or with having had prior criminal records in Cuba. They are currently being held in or being sent to Lewisburg federal penitentiary.
Tuesday's troubles began at about 4:45 a.m. when Federal Protective Service agents began an unannounced routine "shakedown inspection," according to officials.
During the predawn inspection, a pregnant woman reportedly was seen throwing a suspicious object from her second story barracks window and was seized by the agents and forcibly taken by a nearby car.
Shoving and rock throwing subsequently broke out inside the compound and when officials returned six hours later to make additional arrests, more fighting occurred.
But the serious outburst that prompted the task force to seek Gov. Richard Thornburgh's authorization to mobilize the National Guardsmen occurred late that afternoon in the single-male quarters of the compound.
Carrying banners that read "Carter you are a liar," about 75 Cuban men walked over the wooden barricades that separated them from the other areas of the camp, now temporary quarter for 5,000 refugees.
They were met by what officials termed "a show of force" -- about 400 military police dressed in riot gear and carrying unloaded arms and billyclubs. m
Cubans interviewed inside the camp said that the police were violent, injuring some of the rioters.They claimed that federal personnel had pushed the woman down the stairs so violently that she had lost her unborn child. However, officials insisted that there was no physical contact between the police and the rioters. They also said there had been no miscarriages in the camp for two months.
Arthur Brill, spokesman for the State Department's Cuban-Haitiian task force, said today camp officials are still investigating the cause of the head injury received by one of the Cubans, who is currently in critical condition as Hershey Medical Center. Another is hospitalized with a ruptured spleen and fractured arm.
Of the 42 Cubans arrested in Tuesday's incidents, four remain hospitalized and 10 were being held in the onbase clinic today. Two of 16 injured Army personnel were hospitalized Tuesday and are expected to be released Thursday.
Brill characterized the outburst Tuesday "as a joy type situation." He said Cubans who had crossed the barricades had looted an Army warehouse and the camp's Army bachelor quarters.
At the refugee operation's headquarters today, six volunteer groups the remaining unsponsored refugees in homes around the country.
Manuel Torrientes, of the International Rescue Committee, said today his group still needs to place 800 of its original case loads of 2,900. "Personally, I don't think the violence broke out because the Cubans aren't being relocated," added Torrientes.
Cubans said they were tired of being kept inside the camp, but added they had received good treatment while there.
In what officials said was a protest against the rioters, about 2,000 refugees voluntarily turned in their identification to camp personnel today.
In an early morning press conference here four Cuban refugees reiterated their unhappiness over the disturbances, saying that the trouble was only hurting their own cause.
"The Army protect our lives. We like it," said Enriqueta Sabedra, who was leaving the camp for Miami.
Officials said the camp has routine inspections to make sure the Cubans are not making weapons out of bedposts and springs. Since the camp opened in May, there have been three stabbings and one attemped rape, officials said.
"This was typical of the situation of a few bad apples hurting the future of thousands of other people," said Brill.