A Bethesda woman and her 11-year-old daughter died yesterday from fumes that seeped into their house from an automobile that was left running in their garage, according to Montgomery County police.
Police spokeswoman Nancy Moses said the deaths were a murder and suicide.
The body of the daughter, Susan Julia Podraczky, was found early yesterday morning in the upstairs hallway of her home at 6522 Wilmett Rd., police said. Her mother, Giselle Podraczky, 46, was found on the floor near the daughter's bed, police said. Both had been overcome by carbon-monoxide fumes. Attempts to revive the girl failed. The mother was taken by helicopter to the University of Maryland Hospital shock-trauma unit in Baltimore, where she died at 6:30 p.m.
Both bodies were found by the girl's father, Emeric Podraczky, at about 6:30 a.m., police said. Podraczky, 53, is an engineer for an international telecommunications system, police said. He went to the house after he unsuccessfully tried to reach the family by telephone. Police said Podraczky had not been living at home for the last week.
Police said the fumes that filled the house came from a closed garage that is attached to the house. An interior door leading to the house had been left open.
One neighbor interview yesterday said the Podraczkys had lived in the neighborhood for more than 15 years, and their daughter seemed to be "the center of their life."