Namibian guerrilla leader Sam Nujoma accused the United States and South Africa yesterday of "perpetuating" white-minority rule in Namibia through a modified U.N. independence plan.

In an interview published in the official Mozambican newspaper Noticias, Nujoma also charged that South African "special commandos" had placed mines in areas heavily frequented by Namibians.

The leader of the black nationalist Southwest Africa People's Organization said the mines "threaten progressive individuals, such as bishops and priests, who support the struggle of the Namibian people."

It was not certain if Nujoma referred to mines placed in Namibia (Southwest Africa), or in southern Angola, where SWAPO has based its 15-year bush war against South African troops. South Africans said the aim of their 13-day invasion of southern Angola last month was to drive SWAPO forces away from the border and deeper into Angola.

Nujoma said South Africa had "dishonestly sided" with five Western "contact group" nations -- the United States, Canada, Britain, France and West Germany -- to "prepare a constitution to guarantee the perpetuation of white-minority rule in Namibia."

In Pretoria, a military spokesman said a South African Air Force helicopter evacuating wounded soldiers from the Angolan border area crashed Tuesday in the Namibian town of Oshakati, killing six servicemen and injuring another.