The following article is based on information arriving from Poland:

Polish authorities imposed censorship on foreign correspondents for the first time in Poland's post-war history yesterday amid reports of continuing resistance to the martial-law government.

Ending a total communications blackout imposed late Saturday night, the Foreign Ministry opened a telex line for use by correspondents who submit their dispatches in duplicate. Information reported is to be limited to that disseminated by "official sources," government news media or what the correspondents see with their own eyes, all subject to clearance by the official censor.

Meanwhile, the government moved to tighten its grip on the daily life of civilians with a ban on all travel outside their cities of residence, and exhorted Poles to return to work and increase production in what appeared to be a campaign to convince them that compliance is "the only way Poland can move out of the crisis."

Stressing that "the rhythm of work has improved considerably" since martial law was imposed, an official communique read over Polish domestic radio yesterday said, "The more efficient the economy, the sooner the country can stand on its own two feet, the sooner the severe martial-law restrictions can be lifted."

While acknowledging food shortages in some parts of the country, the official media lauded the accomplishments of Polish farmers. Saying the nation was "counting on" the "patriotism" of farmers, one article noted that the government also needed to keep in mind that supplies of machinery, fertilizer and other means of production to farmers must be increased.

In some institutions, employes were being required to sign "loyalty oaths" to the Communist government. In factories and enterprises that have been placed under direct military supervision, workers were told to sign pledges to submit themselves to the orders of their superiors.

Sources reported police were demanding that people regarded as politically suspicious sign a pledge to refrain from engaging in "anti-socialist" activities. Those who refused were said to be taken away.

Most active resistance to the government in Warsaw appeared to have been broken. But following demonstrations in the city center Thursday that were broken up by police using tear gas and clubs, further passive protests occurred. Late Thursday, in response to a leaflet campaign, thousands of apartments in all Warsaw districts were darkened and candles were placed in the windows.

A few people still wear Solidarity buttons, some draped with black ribbons, despite a campaign to remove posters and all other traces of the 10 million-member union.

There were reports of continuing occupations in the provinces, and of workers in the thousands engaging in what they call "Italian strikes" -- showing up but only pretending to work. This seems to be part of a pattern that Solidarity sources predicted would become the rule throughout Poland.

The big Warski Shipyard in the northwestern seaport of Szczecin was said to be on such a strike. Police patrolled surrounding streets, but workers were allowed to enter and to leave the yard. Security forces also reportedly allowed an orderly demonstration to take place Thursday in that city, where workers were killed in food riots 11 years ago. The crowd laid wreaths and flowers by the monument to the fallen and sang patriotic songs uninterrupted.

Other demonstrations commemorating the 1970 riots, however, were put down by force. In addition to the protests in Warsaw, travelers from the provinces reported that several thousand demonstrators in the southern city of Krakow were dispersed by water cannon. In Lodz, police used smoke bombs and water cannon in a successful effort to keep people from gathering in front of the cathedral.

One leaflet appealing for passive resistance posted in an underground passage in Warsaw said: "The military junta is celebrating the anniversary of December 1970 and other crimes."

There still was no definitive word on the condition of arrested Solidarity union leader Lech Walesa, who was apprehended early Sunday morning. Walesa is known to have been visited at a villa outside Warsaw by a high-ranking church official, Bishop Bronislaw Dabrowski.

Reliable sources said that the Catholic primate, Archbishop Jozef Glemp, has refused to meet with Prime Minister Wojciech Jaruzelski, head of the new military governing council, unless Walesa is present at the meeting.

After several days in which the Communist Party was scarcely mentioned in the official press, there were signs yesterday of its reemergence. The party newspaper Trybuna Ludu carried an article describing activities of local party organizations throughout the country, and a few well-known party figures have given interviews to the Polish and Soviet Bloc press.

The military presence on the street has been supplemented by special units of civilian activists wearing red-and-white armbands who assist in stopping vehicles to search trunks and check the identity papers of civilians.

Government broadcasts emphasized that the civilian patrols were composed of "volunteers" who were "coming forward spontaneously" to offer their services.

Along with exhortations to work harder, there were indications that Poles would be asked to work longer hours. The Labor Ministry announced, according to a Warsaw domestic service broadcast, that "the possibility of extending weekly working time to six and even seven days, and daily working hours to 12 is being considered."

Meanwhile, the first details emerged from eyewitnesses of a clash Wednesday between security forces and miners at Wujnek coal mine near the Silesian town of Katowice, in which Polish authorities said seven miners were killed.

A young miner from another mine, arriving in Warsaw from the south, said he had seen riot police and soldiers rushing into the mine after an armored personnel carrier had smashed through the gates. He said that the security police had lobbed a number of tear-gas grenades and smoke bombs into the mine entrance but failed to dislodge the miners, some of whom were occupying the shaft.

He described the mine as an old one in which old and new buildings were clustered together, leaving assault groups little space. The police, who were armed and carried shields and facemasks, were forced to divide up into small groups.

Miners jumped out from various doors and attacked them, primarily with the chains they use to hang their clothes in the dressing rooms. The source said he heard numerous individual shots, but no constant barrage.

No one in Katowice, the source maintained, believes that only seven miners were killed when, according to the government, security forces were forced to fire in self defense.

Other eyewitnesses from Katowice said the miners may have attempted to blow up the entrance to the mine.

Wire services reported the following from outside of Poland:

The Yugoslav news agency Tanjug reported that private farmers, backbone of Polish agriculture, had been withholding food deliveries since the imposition of martial law. Its report, from a correspondent in Warsaw, quoted an official appeal calling on farmers to "not be indifferent to the needs of your brothers in towns" and to "share bread" with them.

The extent of the otherwise unconfirmed farmer boycott could not be determined. The Yugoslav report said food lines were lengthening in the bitterly cold weather, and health officials warned of a growing number of frostbite cases.

In Zurich, members of Solidarity stranded outside Poland met to urge international groups to send observer missions to Poland. The 29 Poles represented Solidarity delegations that were in several Western countries last weekend when martial law was imposed.

At a news conference, they said the International Committee of the Red Cross and the International Labor Organization should send observers to get a first-hand look at conditions under martial law.

The unionists also called on Western governments and trade unions to exert political and economic pressure on Soviet Bloc nations to bring about an end to military rule and the release of the thousands of Solidarity activists reported arrested.

They called for a continuation of Western relief shipments to Poland, but said distribution should be placed under international surveillance.