The following dispatch is based on information arriving from Poland:

Remnants of the suspended Solidarity free trade union organization called on workers to continue passive resistance to martial law after the holiday, as Poles packed churches throughout Warsaw for subdued Christmas services.

A Solidarity news bulletin distributed clandestinely in Warsaw urged the continued social protest to "strengthen the position of representatives of the church." It said talks were under way between the Polish bishops and the country's top Communist Party officials seeking a "political solution" to the crisis brought on by the imposition of martial law.

"If we display our intention to fight against the regime of Gen. Wojciech Jaruzelski, these negotiations can make possible a way out of this blind alley in which society and the Polish state find themselves," the bulletin, under the name of the union's Warsaw region, said.

"Every action of protest, even the most insignificant, strikes a blow against the military government and hastens the time of returning the Army to the barracks," it said.

It cited "the achievement" of workers at the giant Ursus tractor plant near the capital who purportedly produced only one tractor during the first week of martial law, which was declared Dec. 13.

Contact between leading church officials and the martial law authorities already has begun, according to Archbishop Luigi Poggi, the papal envoy who celebrated mass for 5,000 people gathered at St. John's Cathedral in the capital's beautifully restored Old Town.

Poggi said that he met Thursday with Premier and martial law chief Jaruzelski and handed over to him a special message from Pope John Paul II. He said the pope was very concerned about the situation in his homeland and was united with the people in prayer.

Also present at the service was Bishop Bronislaw Dabrowski, secretary of the Polish conference of bishops, who had just returned from the Vatican.

Poland's martial law authorities had lifted an 11:00 p.m. curfew to allow the deeply religious Poles to attend midnight mass.

Throughout Warsaw, Poles gathered in their homes Thursday night for the traditional "Wigilia" (Christmas Eve) meal and exchange of presents, but the usual mood of levity was notably absent in most dwellings. The extra place traditionally set at the table for an unexpected wanderer was reserved in many homes this year for those Solidarity leaders and others detained in special camps throughout the country.

Many homes in Warsaw had no water for the evening, and hostesses apologized that food shortages prevented them from serving all of the 12 fish dishes on the traditional menu.

Presents also were sparse because of the lack of consumer goods in the shops. The gifts in one home included calendars, ball point pens and cheap souvenirs.

At the breaking of the traditional Christmas wafer--a central part of the mealtime celebration that expresses love, friendship and peace--many wept openly.

In addition to the passive protests in the work place, the clandestine Solidarity bulletin also urged Communist Party members to resign and all Warsaw residents to place candles in their windows as symbols of mourning for those "murdered" by martial law forces."

The bulletin gave the names of six from "among the murdered miners" of Wujek, a Silesian mine in which the authorities have admitted seven deaths in fighting between strikers and riot police. The names were Zenon Zajac, Jozef Czekawski, Ryszard Gzik, Kryzysztof Giza, Zbigniew Wilk, and a man named Kopczak for whom no first name was given.

The Solidarity communique was dated Dec. 23 and also reported cases of inhuman treatment of detainees. It said that in Wroclaw, 300 detainees were kept one entire night in the courtyard of as prison where they were doused hourly with water in freezing temperatures.

In Radom, the bulletin said, 2,000 detainees had been kept for at least one week in tents at a nearby military airport. Church sources independently confirmed the report, but the authorities have denied that any prisoners have been kept in tents.

Despite earlier reports that some Solidarity activists had been taken to Czechoslovakia for internment, organizers of an unofficial relief operation for the detainees now believe that they all are in Poland.

The sources said that they knew of 49 such internment camps, each estimated to hold 250 prisoners. They added that 60 prisoners at the Bialoleka prison near Warsaw began a hunger strike two days ago demanding, among other things, clarification of their status and the right to have mass said in the jail.

The total of more than 12,000 detainees reported by these unofficial sources contrasted with the authorities' claims that no more than 5,000 were "interned." In his address to the nation Thursday night, Jaruzelski also said in reference to reports of mistreatment of detainees, "I state with all resolution that the reports of alleged tens or hundreds of fatal casualties, of thousands arrested, held in the frost, beaten up and tortured, are a lie."

Also Thursday, the official Polish media reported that two Solidarity leaders from Lodz had been tried and sentenced under summary martial law procedures to three years in prison for inciting strikes. It was the minimum penalty under martial law rules, which allow for sentences of up to 25 years or even the death penalty for such offenses.

The Solidarity bulletin also reported that injuries at another mine where a strike had been broken exceeded those at the Wujek mine. The new report involved the mine at Jastrzembie, near Czechoslovakia, scene of one of the early agreements in 1980 that gave birth to Solidarity.