The following dispatch is based on information arriving from Poland:

Polish officials maintained silence yesterday on Solidarity labor union leader Lech Walesa, who has been in detention since martial law was imposed two weeks ago, but Roman Catholic Church sources in Warsaw said yesterday that he appeared to be continuing to resist government efforts to gain his cooperation.

Clandestine Solidarity publications said yesterday that the union has received unconfirmed reports that several more persons have been killed in clashes with authorities than the seven that officials of the military government have announced.

In Moscow, a senior Soviet spokesman denied reports of widespread deaths in Poland, saying fewer than 10 Poles have been killed since imposition of martial law Dec. 13. He also accused the United States of "most crude" interference in Polish affairs, including broadcasts by U.S. consulates in Krakow and Poznan urging Poles to resist martial law. Details on Page A26

Solidarity documents circulating in Warsaw also said that "ideological verification" was under way at newspaper offices to weed out political unreliables.

Radio Warsaw, meanwhile, said that the country was quiet on the second day of the Christmas holidays. It said the only remaining pocket of continuing resistance was at the Piast mine in Silesia, where 1,166 miners remained underground. The radio said transportation and power supplies were normal throughout the country.

Church sources said Walesa was still being detained at the headquarters of the Polish Army general staff on Rakowiecka Street in Warsaw. The street is cordoned off to motorists by soldiers at either end, but pedestrians are allowed to pass.

The general staff headquarters, a large, four-story building in the middle of the block, is under 24-hour guard. But during the holiday period there was little sign of unusual activity. The balconies on the top floor are lined with sandbags that appear intended to provide cover for Army sharpshooters in case of an attack on the building.

The sources, who did not want to be named, said Walesa was visited on Christmas Eve by a priest who said mass. Earlier in the week, according to this unconfirmed account, he was visited by Mieczyslaw Rakowski, the deputy premier in charge of trade union affairs and an old negotiating partner in the past.

The aim of Rakowski's reported visit to Walesa was not clear except that the government is believed to be eager to persuade the union leader to lend his voice to appeals for calm.

Rakowski reportedly stormed out of the room looking angry just a couple of minutes after going in. The sources interpreted the incident as a sign that Walesa was still resisting government pressures and refusing to negotiate as long as other Solidarity leaders are detained.

Official spokesmen have refused to comment on Walesa's whereabouts, saying only that he is being treated well and has access to newspapers and television.

The reports of additional deaths came in publications of the suspended union that have just come to light.

One document said there were unconfirmed reports of six deaths in street fighting in Gdansk on Dec. 16 and 17. Police-- who had been using tear gas, water cannon and clubs to disperse large crowds near the monument to shipyard workers who died in 1970 protests--were said to have opened fire at 7 p.m. on Dec. 17.

Four persons with bullet wounds were admitted to the hospital, according to a mimeographed Solidarity leaflet, and Antoni Browarczyk, 23, died of his wounds.

Another Solidarity document said there had been six deaths in Gdansk but added that they could not be confirmed.

In Wroclaw, according to Solidarity documents, one worker at the polytechnical university died after being struck in the head by a police baton when authorities broke up a strike at the university early last week. The identity of the victim was not provided. Because of a continuing communications blackout and restrictions on travel by diplomats, journalists and Polish citizens, reports of these and other deaths cannot readily be confirmed.

In the past few days, numerous Solidarity publications have come to light, indicating that the union still maintains some sort of organization underground to collect reports about encounters with security forces.

In reporting the "ideological verification" at newspapers, Solidarity documents said staffs are being interviewed by military groups and being asked to sign pledges of loyalty to the martial-law government.

They said such a purge was already completed at Kurier Polski, the organ of the Communist-affiliated Democratic Party, and that only 20 percent of the journalists accepted the new authorities, while the rest lost their jobs.

"The editor-in-chief participates but is not allowed to express an opinion," the documents said. They said next would be a "verification" of teachers in universities.

News services reported the following:

Radio Warsaw said yesterday that, except for a strike at one leading coal mine, major resistance to martial law has ended, and work is scheduled to resume Monday at most of the country's industries and mines.

Essential services such as power and heat generation, public transportation and repair work continued without interruption into the holiday weekend, the government-operated radio said.

There was no independent confirmation of Radio Warsaw's description of Poland 13 days after imposition of martial law and no indication of the effectiveness of a call Wednesday by Solidarity for continued passive resistance to authorities.

A high-ranking Vatican diplomat, Archbishop Luigi Poggi, who met last week with Poland's martial-law ruler, Gen. Wojciech Jaruzelski, as a special envoy of Pope John Paul II, arrived in Vienna yesterday on his return trip to Rome but did not discuss his visit with reporters.

Vatican Radio, however, gave its most hopeful assessment of the situation in Poland yesterday, while not tying the assessment directly to Poggi's trip or the pope's peace initiative.

"A drama is under way in which there is still a possibility of a positive resolution despite the high cost in suffering paid by the Poles," Vatican Radio said, according to the Associated Press. It added, "But no one can hide the fact that among all the possibilities is one that it could get worse."

A clandestine Solidarity statement that reached the West Friday said Roman Catholic bishops in Poland had been meeting with Communist Party officials in an effort to reach a compromise solution to the explosive situation, but there has been no Vatican confirmation.

Radio Warsaw said that a sit-in of miners at the Piast coal mine in Silesia now is "the only critical and tragic spot" in the country's industry. It said preparations were under way at the Ziemowit mine and the Katowice steelworks, sites of major Solidarity sit-ins that ended this week, to resume production Monday.

At Piast, the radio said, the number of strikers is now 1,166 and "is getting smaller with every passing day." It repeated its charge that most of the miners still in the shafts were being held there against their will by Solidarity activists. Reports last week said 3,000 miners were staging the sit-in at Piast.

"Dramatic telephone conversations between mothers, sisters and wives and the miners detained underground are still going on," the radio said. "Contacts are being made more difficult because the organizers of the protest are still trying to misinform and intimidate those being kept below."

It said that Friday night the director of the Piast coal mine spoke by telephone with the leaders of the protest action, but "the conversation was fruitless." Nonetheless, the radio said, "There is hope that the Piast protest will be over by the new year."

Tass, the official Soviet news agency, said Warsaw television yesterday showed Jaruzelski visiting a Polish troop regiment stationed near Warsaw.

Talking with the troops, Tass said, Jaruzelski "noted their high combat readiness and exemplary discipline, thanked them for their dedicated service and expressed a general wish that the time will come as soon as possible when servicemen could return to their everyday duties."

Wieslaw Gornicki, an adviser to Jaruzelski, told the West German television network ARD that many of the thousands of Poles swept up in mass arrests and administrative detention since martial law was imposed would be released "shortly," the Associated Press reported. He did not elaborate.

While Radio Warsaw stressed the peacefulness of the Christmas weekend yesterday, with the day "taken up with visiting our families and friends in keeping with tradition," there was continued evidence of hard times.

ADN, the official East German news agency, said another convoy of East German Army trucks carrying emergency supplies had been sent to Poland. Earlier convoys brought food and medicine to Poland, where a collapsing economy has created severe shortages.

Romanian President Nicolae Ceausescu, who for months has called on East and West alike to refrain from interfering in Poland, yesterday criticized the West for supporting "irresponsible elements" in Poland and defended imposition of martial law, the Associated Press reported.

He said "real friends of Poland" should try to help it overcome its crisis and added that, in this context, "anyone would be puzzled by the fact" that some governments had "resorted even to measures of economic boycott and other oppressions meant to raise further obstacles to Poland." He mentioned no names.

A Radio Warsaw commentator yesterday sharply attacked two Polish ambassadors who have defected to the United States in opposition to the martial law, calling their moves a "betrayal."