This dispatch is based on information arriving from Poland:

In a meeting with representatives of Western European governments yesterday, martial law leader Gen. Wojciech Jaruzelski attacked President Reagan's policy toward his country and reportedly said that his government would consider deporting interned Solidarity leaders to Western countries willing to accept them.

U.S. envoy Francis Meehan was not invited to the two-hour session requested by Jaruzelski.

It was also learned from Polish sources, however, that Jaruzelski sent a personal letter yesterday to President Reagan. The message, which was understood to contain many of the same points made to the European diplomats, was a reply to a letter from Reagan outlining economic sanctions and demanding the release of detainees.

Speaking from a prepared text, Jaruzelski reportedly delivered a lengthy defense of the imposition of martial law saying Poland had been rife with anarchy, and that Solidarity had grown into an open opposition.

In reply to Jaruzelski, Belgian Ambassador Constant Clerckx, repeated points made in a pre-Christmas statement by the European Community that denounced "the grave violation of the human and civil rights of the Polish people" under repressive martial law.

Reading a prepared text, Clerckx called on Jaruzelski to resume dialogue with all parts of Polish society and to release the detainees. A source said Jaruzelski's reply ignored the demand. He gave no timetable for lifting restrictions and only vaguely touched on possible political steps to overcome the crisis.

Radio Warsaw reported yesterday that the country was calm the first full workday after the holiday period, but there were indications of unrest in some areas.

A traveler from Gdansk described the situation there as tense, with open hostility toward martial law. He reported a much greater military and police presence than in Warsaw and said "little work is going on anywhere.

The source, who is considered highly reliable, also said a policeman had been killed during three days of street fighting in the Baltic seaport during the first week of martial law. Party sources had earlier reported another police death in the south. Neither has been acknowledged officially.

Sources said Jaruzelski, at the meeting with the ambassadors, had attacked the U.S. economic sanctions as "interference in Poland's internal affairs" and said he expressed gratitude that West European nations were showing patience and restraint. He asked for continued understanding and economic assistance, arguing that the duration of martial law would depend in part on the Western response.

Diplomats said the meeting contained no surprises, but there was what some participants considered a preliminary approach to see whether Western countries might be willing to accept Solidarity leaders now under detention. Jaruzelski was reported as saying that the government would consider sending some of the interned leaders to the West under unspecified conditions.

Similar hints have come from other Polish officials in private meetings with Western diplomats, but the fact that it was raised by Jaruzelski suggests it is being given serious, top-level attention.

It was also learned that at least 16 senior Solidarity officials who had been interned near Gdansk were moved two days ago to a detention center near Warsaw, at Bialoleka Prison.

Some of the best-known and most widely criticized leaders were among those moved, including Andrzej Gwiazda, former number two man to Lech Walesa; the radical Bydgoszcz union chief Jan Rulewski; former press spokesman Janusz Onyszniewicz, and deputy Warsaw region chief Seweryn Jaworski. Sources also said that leading dissident Jacek Kuron had been moved to Bialoleka from yet another internment center. The reasons for the moves were unclear, although Solidarity sources said they feared it might be preparatory to putting them on trial. Some, but not all, have charges or investigations pending against them from before Dec. 13.

It appeared unlikely that they had been brought to Warsaw for talks with the government. Walesa is reliably reported to have insisted that the union's top leadership be present at any negotiatons, but many of those transferred from the north are not in that group and have been the subject of a vitriolic press campaign.

The government has been trying to draw a distinction between elements in Solidarity it considers moderate and those it is attacking as extremists.

Jaruzelski told the Western diplomats yesterday that some union leaders had accepted overtures to talks with the government, but that other leaders were not cooperating and had to be kept in isolation.

Also at the meeting was Foreign Minister Jozef Czyrek. Representing the 10 members of the European Community were seven resident ambassadors and one charge d'affaires. Ireland and Luxembourg do not have resident diplomatic representation in Warsaw.

The traveler from Gdansk also repeated earlier reports that only 30 percent of the 15,000 workers in the Lenin Shipyard had agreed to sign loyalty oaths. The shipyard was supposed to have begun operations yesterday for the first time since martial law was declared more than three weeks ago.

Radio Warsaw said "practically all shipyards" on the Baltic Coast resumed production, including "the majority of departments" in the Lenin Shipyard, the birthplace of Solidarity.

There have been persisent reports that Tadeusz Fiszbach, the Communist Party secretary for the Gdansk province who is considered a liberal, has been asked to resign.

One source said Fiszbach had been called to Warsaw, where he told party authorities that it was up to his own regional party organization to remove him. There are reports that other regional party leaders on both ends of the political spectrum may also be in trouble.

A hint of how extensive the promised purge of the party may be could come this week. Party sources say a meeting of party leaders from the provinces and the central party apparatus is likely by mid-week.

Richard Homan of the Washington Post Foreign Service compiled the following from staff and news agency reports and monitored Polish radio broadcasts:

Jaruzelski's remarks to the envoys came as Radio Warsaw portrayed a stepped-up return to normal life, reporting that major factories and shipyards were back at work, schools had resumed after the Christmas holidays and telephone and telex service are to be restored today in 10 of the country's 49 provinces.

Travelers reaching the West and independent observers in Warsaw disputed official claims that the Polish economy is returning to normal however, saying industrial production is at about half capacity.

Questions also arose about reports reaching the West from Warsaw Sunday that Poland had come up with the $350 million it needed to pay by the end of 1981 to avoid technical default on its $26.3 billion in debts to Western governments and banks.

Bankers in Zurich and other Western European countries told Reuter news agency yesterday that they have had no direct word from Warsaw since before Christmas and could not confirm reports that the money had actually been paid.

The tone of Jaruzelski's first meeting with Western envoys since he imposed martial law Dec. 13 was described by Belgian Foreign Minister Leo Tindemans as "tragic in a sense," Washington Post correspondent Edward Cody reported from Brussels.

More than any specific remark, it was the tough tone of Jaruzelski's declaration to the assembled ambassadors that impressed the European governments, a diplomatic source said in Brussels. In addition, the fact he summoned the European envoys on the same morning that their foreign ministers were meeting in Brussels on the Polish issue was interpreted as a warning against belief that condemnation or economic sanctions can soften the military government's policy.

Before meeting with the Western European ambassadors, Warsaw Radio said, Jaruzelski met with ambassadors of the Warsaw Pact countries.

Trybuna Ludu, the Communist Party newspaper, said yesterday that for the first time in several months, Poland was untroubled by strikes.

One trade attache at a Western embassy estimated that martial law has cost Poland between $50 million and $100 million a day in lost production, Reuter said. The observers attributed some of the losses in production to external factors, notably the shortage of raw materials, spare parts and technical assistance from the West.

Travelers arriving by train in Vienna, who had left Warsaw Sunday, said that up until that time, life was far from normal, UPI reported.

"The people are desperate and the food situation is very bad," said one man who spoke with a number of Poles arriving in Vienna, adding that they told of widespread resistance to martial law.

Other reports reaching the West said there had been an increase in military activity on the streets of Warsaw Sunday, apparently in anticipation of the planned resumption of work yesterday.

Trybuna Ludu restated the military government's position yesterday that Solidarity, if it is eventually allowed to resume activities, will never again be the freewheeling union that it was for 18 months.

"The Solidarity union, in the form in which it functioned up to Dec. 12, 1981, cannot have a place in the socialist state system," Trybuna Ludu said, in an article headed, "What Next?"