Polish authorities have given private indications that they are ready to begin talks soon with representatives of the suspended trade union movement Solidarity about basic principles for future Polish unions. Solidarity's leaders, however, remain wary of the government's intentions and the possibility of compromise.

A nonofficial source familiar with the informal contacts in recent days among Poland's martial-law authorities, Roman Catholic clergymen and Solidarity representatives said more talks could begin within 10 days, following the return from Rome of Archbishop Jozef Glemp.

Glemp, the Polish Roman Catholic primate, left last week for consultations with Pope John Paul II about the Polish situation.

Government officials hape said previously that they have been sounding out some union activists about the future of any labor union movement.

One of the frustrations on the union side in developing a new strategy has been continued difficulty in arranging a meeting between Solidarity chairman Lech Walesa and key advisers who have been spared internment.

Such a meeting is said to have been promised .@ then canceled three times since the imposition of martial law Dec. 13. Walesa has been detained by the government somewhere near Warsaw sin#d then.

The most recent instance involved a meeting that had been scheduled for last Thursday between Walesa and Romuald Kukulowicz, an economist who has worked with Solidarity. Also intending to participate was Walesa's Gdansk priest, the Rev. Henryk Jankowski, who wanted to discuss the choice of godparents and name for the union leader's newborn daughter.

Walesa, who is reported to have been moved four times in the past eight weeks to locations all within about a 25-mile radius of Warsaw, has had very limited contact with others. Church officials are reported to have visited him at least twice, and his wife also has been allowed to make two visits.

He is described as having gone through spells of optimism and pessimism but is said to have emerged with growing confidence about the future. Despite his isolation, he has found ways of getting messages in and out, and he is even reported to have exchanged letters with Zbigniew Bujak, leader of the powerful Warsaw branch of Solidarity who has managed to elude internment.

Based on preliminary discussions with ruling officials, Poland's martial-law authorities are seen by sources close to Solidarity as divided and uncertain about how to proceed with recreating a national trade union movement.

At present, power for drafting any such plan is viewed as splintered among various influential groups--the Military Council for National Salvation, the Communist Party Politburo, government ministers and internal security officials.

In their early soundings with Solidarity representatives, the authorities reportedly have made clear that whatever form trade unions take in the future, greater official control will be exercised over them than was exerted over Solidarity.

The Associated Press reported the following:

A top Communist Party official said that government authorities made a mistake when they reached an unprecedented agreement with Solidarity in August 1980. The agreement ended large-scale strikes and recognized the independent union movement.

Observers said the comments in the newpaper Zycie Warszawy on Sunday by party official Wladyslaw Loranc, chief of the state-run radio and television, appeared to be the first time the entire process of reaching accords with the strikers has been called into question.

Loranc was quoted as saying that the accords were a "false start," had only "local meaning," and "were not based on careful political analysis."

The minister for economic reform, Wladyslaw Baka, said in an interview this weekend that "it is unimaginable that the strike ban imposed under martial law will be lifted this year or the next."

However, Baka said that most restrictions on civil liberties, such as the ability to travel between provinces, hold meetings and curbs on the press, would be lifted in the next few weeks.