Prince George's County executive Lawrence Hogan used yesterday's announcement of the arrests of four men in connection with the slaying of a police officer to denounce criminal rehabilitation programs, noting that one of the suspects lived in a halfway house.

Hogan, a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate, said, "I think that halfway houses and most rehabilitation programs have failed miserably. Some of these people are just bad people, and they're not going to change."

Hogan showed up at a press conference at which county police chief John McHale announced that two men from Prince George's and two from the District--one of them a resident of a D.C. halfway house, have been arrested and charged with the Feb. 8 slaying of off-duty duty Prince George's police officer Raymond Hubbard.

Hubbard, 28, was shot while attempting to stop the robbery of a jewelry store at a crowded Iverson Mall in Hillcrest Heights. Chief McHale said the suspects were arrested as the result of an intensive 16-day investigation by officers from the county and District police departments. McHale said police are seeking a fifth suspect, and that the search also yielded suspects for another robbery.

One of those charged, Terrance Antoine Harris, 21, a resident of a halfway house at 1010 North Capitol St. NW, showed up at Howard University Hospital suffering from a gunshot wound about 20 minutes after the robbery. Harris has been transferred to the D.C. Jail infirmary and has been served with a warrant as a fugitive from justice.

Early Wednesday morning, police arrested Harlow Brian Sails, 20, who gave his address as 5716 83rd Pl. in New Carrollton. He was arrested after a raid on a Riverdale apartment. Later that day, police arrested his brother, Horatio Kermit Sails, 24, of the New Carrollton address. The fourth suspect, Ronald Wayne Drake, 24, of 4429 Quarles St. NE,already was in custody at the Prince George's Detention Center in Upper Marlboro. He was arrested in connection with a Feb. 5 robbery of a Safeway store in Suitland. Those three men also were charged with first degree murder Wednesday, and are being held at the Detention Center without bond.