PHASE I

* Affects farms of more than 1,235 acres.

* Put into effect March 6, 1980.

* Altogether, 329 cooperatives have been formed with 29,755 members and about 178,530 beneficiaries including family members (average family size six persons). The total land area affected to date is 554,310 acres or 15.4 percent of the country's farmland. About 40 of the farms are abandoned or worked only sporadically, however, because of violence in the area. Another 66 were smaller properties bought by the government. In all, 263 were actually taken from their former owners as part of the reform.

* Compensation to former owners: For the expropriated land $55,955,974 has been paid so far to 101 former owners, 90 percent in bonds, the remaining 10 percent in cash. This situation has been complicated by the assembly's return to the 1962 constitution, which has much more stringent and less practical compensation requirements. PHASE II

* Designed to affect farms of 247 to 1,235 acres.

* Announced March 5, 1980, but never put into effect.

* If implemented, it would involve 1,739 or so properties. Since owners have the right to retain up to 247 acres of their original farms and it is impossible to say how many would exercise this option, the reform could affect from 309,990 acres or 8.6 percent of the nation's farmland to 846,906 acres or 23.5 percent. The potential number of direct beneficiaries is sometimes estimated at 50,000, but all such figures are speculation.

* Compensation would be mandatory but practically impossible under the 1962 constitution. PHASE III

* Gives tenant farmers the right to buy up to 17 acres of the land they have been working.

* Decree 207 was issued April 28, 1980, and went into effect May 6, 1980.

* The implementing agency for Decree 207 was not formed until December 1980, and effective implementation did not begin until March 3, 1981, when the junta announced that potential beneficiaries had one year, effective that date, to file claims on parcels they were renting as of May 6, 1980. The filing deadline subsequently was extended to March 3, 1983.

* To date, it has affected about 119,255 acres or 3.3 percent of the country's farmland.

* The estimated number of potential beneficiaries ranges from 67,000 to 125,000 families. To date, only 29,261 people have applied for titles, some of them on more than one plot of land. Of 36,751 petitions filed there have been 30,215 provisional titles granted.

* No valid full titles have been granted.

* Although intended to have great impact on the many small farmers and peasants in the hard-scrabble lands of the guerrilla-dominated Chalatenango, Morazan and Cabanas provinces, recent statistics show that in Chalatenango, for instance, only 3 percent of the potential tenant farmers had filed petitions while in the richer province of Ahuachapan, where there is very little guerrilla activity, almost 61 percent had filed.

Thus far, seven former property owners have been compensated. Thirty-one other cases are approved and scheduled for payment.

Figures come from the U.S. Agency for International Development.