A Palestine Liberation Organization spokesman rejected today an Israeli proposal for temporary asylum in Israel for Palestinian guerrillas as each side accused the other of cease-fire violations on the outskirts of Beirut.
The PLO charged that Israeli forces occupying the hills east and south of the capital opened up this morning with tank, artillery and small-arms fire on Palestinian camps in the southern suburb of predominantly Moslem West Beirut. Israel accused the PLO of firing on Israeli positions with light weapons.
The state-run Beirut radio spoke of sporadic shelling and intermittent shooting around West Beirut that tapered off after noon. Yet the latest cease-fire generally held in its seventh day.
A senior PLO official charged that the Israelis are preparing for a military move against Palestinian strongholds. He claimed that the estimated 30,000 Israeli troops sealing off 5,000 to 6,000 Palestinian guerrillas in West Beirut were bringing up ammunition and reinforcements.
"They're preparing and we're preparing," he said.
The official also assailed the suggestion made yesterday at a massive progovernment rally in Tel Aviv by Prime Minister Menachem Begin for a possible confederation with Jordan, calling it "the latest example of Israel's interference in its neighbors' affairs." Begin offered to meet with Jordan's King Hussein either in Jerusalem or Amman after Israel had signed a peace treaty with Lebanon, which he said was a prime objective of his government. The official said Israel is trying to "impose its will on Arab states. Neither Jordan nor the Palestinians want it."
He called the suggestion "ominous,coming after the invasion of Lebanon" and said it lent support to charges by Jordanian officials that Israel has expansionist designs.
The PLO official also rejected Israeli Defense Minister Ariel Sharon's offer of temporary asylum to Palestinian guerrillas who renounce the PLO and have not committed "terrorist acts."
"Who is Sharon to give us the right to go back to our own country?" he asked. "Hopefully we'll be going back to Palestine on much different terms and much sooner than you think."
The prospect of an Israeli peace treaty with Lebanon was dismissed by Lebanon's Prime Minister Shafiq Wazzan.
In an interview conducted last week and published by the Lebanese weekly, Monday Morning, Wazzan was quoted as saying, "I am certain that Lebanon will not sign a unilateral peace treaty with Israel."
Reacting to previous suggestions from Begin and Sharon that Lebanon would become the second Arab country to conclude a peace pact with the Jewish state, the prime minister added that all efforts must focus on "a comprehensive peace that eliminates all the tragedies of the region," notably those of the Lebanese and Palestinian people.
Wazzan said the current negotiations for a political settlement centered on "a final solution that leaves no armed Palestinian presence in any part of Lebanon's territory." He said the PLO had accepted this principle but had also demanded a limited military presence under the supervision of Lebanese authorities.
Special U.S. envoy Philip C. Habib met again today with Lebanese President Elias Sarkis and Wazzan as they pressed to overcome the obstacles in the foundering American-led negotiations.