A 21-year-old Northwest Washington man, home from the Army on emergency leave for the funeral of his slain brother, was shot dead early yesterday morning a few yards from the spot where his brother was killed a month ago.

Spec. 4 Charles L. Talley, 21, was found lying face down on a sidewalk in the stark and treeless 300 block of Elm Street NW by a relative who said she had seen the first killing. Talley had been shot once in the back and died at the scene, D.C. Police said.

His death follows that of his brother, Clifford T. Talley, 22, a postal union employe who died July 7 when three men clubbed him to the ground with a piece of wood, then dragged him down an alley and shot him once in the head, according to police and a witness.

"It's like being electrocuted once, then a few seconds later being electrocuted again at a higher voltage," said Toni McWain, 25, who lives in the 300 block of Elm, as she wept over her cousins' mysterious deaths. She said she saw the slaying of Clifford, from the sidewalk in front of her home, and was the first to find the body of Charles.

"How am I supposed to handle this?" she said to a reporter, her voice breaking. "When I found my baby cousin lying on the ground . . . and I saw his brother get shot in the alley . . . how am I supposed to act?"

Police said yesterday that they have no suspects and no motive in the latest shooting, and declined to draw any connection between the two killings.

In the slaying of Clifford Talley, two brothers, Christopher Mark McAdoo, 23, and Duane Edward Wilson, 19, have been arrested and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and homicide. Police said they have no motive in that slaying. They have an arrest warrant outstanding for a third person--whom police decline to identify-- in connection with that slaying.

McAdoo and Wilson, who gave an address in the 100 block of T Street, in the same LeDroit Park neighborhood where the Talley brothers were slain, were arrested July 8, the day after Clifford Talley's death. They were arraigned in D.C. Superior Court the same day and were released by a judge on their personal recognizance. The government had argued that they should be held in preventive detention.

In releasing the brothers, the judge stipulated that they could not return to the 300 block of Elm Street unless they were with their attorney, gathering evidence for their defense.

Clifford Talley, who lived with his mother at 1200 North Capitol St., was grabbed by two men, struck with what appeared to be a chair leg, dragged down an alley between 326 and 330 Elm St., and shot after a third man joined the group, according to police and a witness cited in an arrest warrant for McAdoo and Wilson. He was assaulted at about 1:10 a.m., and died about three and a half hours later, police said.

Charles Talley, who was to return to his base in Germany on Thursday, was found dead in front of 336 Elm St. at about 2:30 a.m. yesterday, police said.

Half the homes on the block are boarded up, and the other half are a combination of renovated and deteriorating turn-of-the-century town houses. Trash is piled up at the entrances of some of the unoccupied homes. The block is about a block north of U Street NW.

Police said yesterday that there have been a number of thefts from vehicles parked on the block, but other than the two killings, no pattern of crime that would distinguish it from other blocks in the city.

Yesterday Catherine Talley appeared exhausted by the double tragedy. Her eyes swollen, she chain-smoked cigarettes while answering questions about her two dead sons.

She said she last saw Charles when he left to go jogging about midnight. She said he frequently jogged, and was enroute to visit family and friends who live on and near Elm Street, about a mile from her apartment. She said Clifford was also visiting family and friends in the neighborhood when he was slain.

"We want it all to stop," said Toni McWain, who said the family was not seeking vengeance against anyone.

The dead brothers were graduates of Dunbar High School.

Charles was an offensive lineman on the high school football team, and joined the Army at 18 in order to get computer training, Mrs. Talley said.

"Charles was the kind of person who wouldn't pick a fight, but he wouldn't back down from one either," said his father, Carle Talley, 55, a disabled veteran.

Family members said Clifford was a hard-working man but he had run into some problems at the National Alliance of Postal and Federal Employees, where he worked, and was on administrative leave at the time of his death.

"If I knew the motive I could rest easier because Cliff was so very, very good," said Catherine Talley, who works as a clerk at the D.C. Post Office.

"I don't see how anyone could have an actual motive for murdering him. He was a mainstay for me because he did so much. He was my heart."

The Talleys have four remaining children, ranging in age from 35 to 18.