An article yesterday incorrectly characterized the deadline facing manufacturers of certain pesticides approved for use on the basis of invalid health effects studies. The Environmental Protection Agency announced that legal sales of these pesticides face suspension if their manufacturers do not commit themselves within 90 days to retesting. There is no deadline for the suspension itself.
President Reagan ordered the Justice Department yesterday to allow congressional investigators access to Carter White House documents found in the possession of Reagan's 1980 campaign staff, but the action failed to satisfy the subcommittee chairman who is directing the inquiry.
"They will have complete access, they will have access to all the material," White House spokesman Larry Speakes said in announcing the decision, which was transmitted to Rep. Donald J. Albosta (D-Mich.) in a letter from White House counsel Fred F. Fielding.
Albosta welcomed the president's directive to provide his subcommittee those documents that have been turned over to the Justice Department in its criminal investigation. But he said he still wants assurances that his staff could inspect Reagan campaign files stored in the archives of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.
An administration official said the Justice Department sent a representative to the Hoover Institution yesterday to make arrangements for investigators to obtain the needed documents. Speakes said he expects that the Justice Department and Albosta can "work out" their differences.
Reagan's directive was the latest move in a White House effort begun last week to make a strong public showing of presidential determination to solve the mystery of how White House briefing papers prepared for President Carter's Oct. 28, 1980, debate with Reagan were obtained by the Reagan campaign before the debate.
Speakes said yesterday there was "a determination from top to bottom in the White House to leave no stone unturned" in finding out who was responsible.
Comments from politicians and new nationwide public opinion poll made public yesterday reflected far greater interest in the controversy than White House advisers had believed.
A Newsweek poll found that eight of every 10 Americans knew about the affair, an awareness level not achieved until 10 months after the June, 1972, burglary of the Democratic National Committee offices in the Watergate office building here.
Six of every 10 said they believe Reagan's staff was guilty of serious wrongdoing (16 percent) or some wrongdoing (45 percent). Fifty-nine per cent of those polled predicted that the controversy would become a major political issue.
The issue has become a political worry for Republicans, many of whom have defended the president and have said that the Justice Department investigation will resolve the controversy. Republican National Chairman Frank J. Fahrenkopf Jr. said Reagan's approach assures that "anyone involved in a violation of law will be dealt with."
Fahrenkopf said that in every campaign, "you get a lot of information unsolicited on what the other side is doing" and people "have to draw the lines for themselves" on what use they make of that information.
"But putting a mole or a spy in the other camp is beyond the line. The American people have a right to expect us to obey the law and the rules of fair play."
Saying that it "is clear to me that the president was not involved," Senate Majority Leader Howard H. Baker Jr. (R-Tenn.) ruled out a separate Senate investigation.
But in Council Bluffs, Iowa, presidential candidate Sen. Alan Cranston (D-Calif.) joined the ranks of those in his party who urged appointment of a special prosecutor.
The White House has withheld comment on the need for a special counsel, pending the completion of the ongoing investigations by the Justice Department and Albosta's subcommittee.
But White House officials yesterday struck a conciliatory tone toward Albosta's subcommittee.
Reagan met during the afternoon with Fielding and presidential assistant Richard G. Darman and approved a letter of reply to Albosta, who on June 29 asked Reagan for copies of any papers located in the files of his campaign aides at the Hoover Institution.
The letter, signed by Fielding, said that he directed the Hoover Institution on July 1 to forward any documents it found to the Justice Department.
"Thus, the White House has not received and will not be receiving any documents found as a result of that search," Fielding wrote.
"However, in accordance with your request, the president has directed that representatives of the Department of Justice meet with you to work out procedures to provide you and your subcommittee with access to any such materials located in the Hoover Institution or anywhere else to assist you in your investigation while assuring the integrity of the Department of Justice investigation."
"I appreciate the fact that the president has responded in the affirmative to my request for materials that have been turned over to the Justice Department," Albosta said in a statement after receiving Fielding's letter. "I look forward to working out an arrangement for inspection and copying of those files for the subcommittee on human resources in the very near future.
"In regard to our access to the Hoover Institution Reagan collection, we still do not have an affirmative answer, but we hope that request will be granted in writing Tuesday ."
Albosta said that only Reagan or his trustees for the Hoover collection--Meese and deputy chief of staff Michael K. Deaver--can grant access.
"To the American public, it would not be perceived very well to have those White House people who have control of the archives themselves review the material," Albosta said.
Some administration officials have expressed concern about the Hoover files because Justice is dependent on the curator there to provide the needed information. But one senior official said the files are "secure" and that he expects Justice Department investigators to inspect them.
Administration sources said last Friday that documents and information from aides to Carter were found stored in Reagan campaign officials' files at the Hoover Institution.
They said these included the missing copy of a memo sent Oct. 21, 1980, by Reagan campaign volunteer Wayne H. Valis to White House chief of staff James A. Baker III. The memo claimed to report details of a "middle-level" Carter staff meeting "from a source intimiately connected to a Carter debate staff member."
In a telegram Saturday, Albosta asked Hoover officials to allow a subcommittee investigator to conduct an independent review of the Reagan campaign files.
Charles Palm, acting archivist at the Hoover Institution, said yesterday that he forwarded that request to Fielding.
"Under the terms of the agreement under which Mr. Reagan deposited the campaign files here . . . we've not been able to allow the subcommittee access without Mr. Reagan's permission," Palm said.
Yesterday was the deadline for the White House to respond to an earlier Albosta request for any material it has turned over to the Justice Department as part of the department's criminal investigation. White House officials decided not to give the documents directly to Congress when they dropped their internal investigation to avoid conflict with the Justice probe.
Palm said he and two Hoover researchers are looking for "anything related to the whole controversy" and will give Justice only copies of original Reagan campaign documents. Palm said he has taken steps to maintain the security of the files, which he said take up 550 feet of shelf space and have not been catalogued fully.
Albosta said he does not want to rely on the Hoover archivists to identify the relevant documents because "They may have people looking for material on different subject matters than we're looking for." For example, he said, "We're most interested in material that may have come from the Carter National Security Council."
Albosta said one of the subcommittee's priorities is to search for copies of Carter NSC staff reports that former Reagan national security affairs adviser Richard V. Allen has said he received in 1980. Albosta said he is trying to determine "if there's any solid evidence to support that allegation."
He said Congress may have to strengthen the ethics laws "so that those who desire to lift material from the NSC or the White House will find the penalties are too great to take the risk."
Albosta said he also is continuing to look into unconfirmed allegations that sexual favors may have been used to obtain documents from the Carter White House. Asked about statements by former Reagan volunteer Valis that such allegations are "ugly innuendo," Albosta said that if Valis "would like to come before the committee under oath and make that statement, we'd like to have him before the committee."
Meanwhile, Albosta's small Post Office and Civil Service subcommittee on human resources, which has four professional staff members, is arranging for more office space and staff to avoid being overwhelmed by the growing investigation.
The panel has received one investigator from its parent committee and may get two more from Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman John D. Dingell (D-Mich.), who led the recent probe of the Environmental Protection Agency. The Albosta panel also is considering hiring an outside counsel.