The Salvadoran guerrilla movement, which four days ago agreed to talks with U.S. emissary Richard Stone, today called him a "soldier of intervention" and charged that Washington's only plan for Central America is military intervention and war.
"The North American plan is military," said a broadcast commentary from the Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front, the umbrella organization of five guerrilla groups fighting to overthrow the U.S.-sponsored government here. "The North American plan is about war. Intervention is the only North American plan for Central America."
The statement, broadcast by the Marxist-led front's official Radio Venceremos, was the first comment from the rebel military wing on an agreement Sunday between Stone and a rebel political leader, Ruben Zamora, to hold broader talks in the near future on what Zamora called "an open agenda."
The discussions, whose date and site have not been announced, would bring Stone together with the Political-Diplomatic Commission of the Democratic Revolutionary Front, the movement's political arm of which Zamora is one of seven members. Stone and Zamora both hailed the accord as an encouraging first step toward the admittedly remote goal of political settlement for the three-year-old Salvadoran civil war.
Zamora said in an interview Monday in Costa Rica that his accord for further talks with Stone had the endorsement of the full rebel leadership, including military chiefs of the Farabundo Marti Front.
Late last year the military chiefs, after long internal controversy, signed a joint statement calling for negotiations for a political, rather than military, settlement of the war. But today's commentary, suggesting that Stone's mission is a smoke screen behind which the Reagan administration is preparing military intervention, raised the question of whether some military leaders still may view the idea of such talks with suspicion.
But the bellicose tone of today's statement also could simply reflect irritation with U.S. officials' portrayal of the agreement between Stone and Zamora.
According to reports from Washington, U.S. officials have said the accord stems in part from recent Salvadoran Army successes and demonstrations of U.S. military power around Nicaragua, suggesting that the guerrillas have been pressured into accepting talks.
As guerrilla officials tell it, they have been urging "dialogue" since last October, and the United States and President Alvaro Magana's Salvadoran government have been forced by congressional and public opinion to give it a try.
The broadcast also repeated denunciations of U.S.-urged plans for early elections in El Salvador, charging that Salvadoran elections always have been based on fraud and thus do not provide a channel for genuine expression of popular will. This reflected the guerrilla stand against rebel participation in Salvadoran elections, which now have been postponed until next year.
Turning to the Stone mission, the broadcast added:
"Richard Stone, another soldier of intervention. What is in sight does not require glasses. The warships are North American. The aircraft carriers are North American. The warplanes are North American, the soldiers North American. They are nothing but the most eloquent signs of the character and content of the intentions of the North American plans for El Salvador and all Central America."
President Reagan has ordered two naval task forces to stage maneuvers on either side of the Central American isthmus in what administration officials have portrayed as a show of force directed at Nicaragua and its allies. In addition, the Pentagon has announced plans for exercises by ground troops and aircraft in Honduras involving up to 4,000 soldiers.