Dr. Edward F. Jackson Jr. was found guilty today of 60 crimes against women, including 21 rapes.

A jury rejected Jackson's claim that he was legally insane when he terrorized 30 women in their homes in the Columbus area between November, 1978, and his arrest Sept. 5, 1982.

Jackson, 39, is to be sentenced Friday, and could receive a maximum of more than 1,300 years in prison. Under Ohio law he would be eligible for consideration for parole after serving 9 1/2 years.

In addition to the rapes, Jackson was found guilty of three attempted rapes, 29 aggravated burglaries, four counts of gross sexual imposition (sexual contact), two kidnapings and one count of possessing criminal tools.

Jackson also has pleaded innocent by reason of insanity to 36 other charges, including 15 rapes, stemming from attacks from early 1975 until November, 1978. His trial on those charges, if it is held, will not begin until December.

Jackson, an internist and the father of two teen-age daughters, displayed no emotion at today's verdict, which ended a five-week trial that was moved to Akron because of extensive publicity about the case in Columbus.

Jurors declined comment after their verdict was announced. Jackson's attorneys indicated that they would appeal.

A year ago today, William Bernard Jackson of Columbus, a near look-alike of the physician but not a relative, was freed from prison after serving nearly five years for two of the pre-1978 rapes now blamed on Jackson.

William Jackson, who had two previous felony convictions, was picked out of a Columbus Police Department mug shot book by the two rape victims, and a jury later rejected testimony by his alibi witnesses.

A bill has been introduced in the Ohio Legislature to compensate William Jackson for the wrongful imprisonment.

In the current trial, the jury of seven men and five women deliberated for nine hours over two days after hearing 21 days of testimony from 58 prosecution and 16 defense witnesses. Jackson did not testify.

Thirty women described how they were attacked as they slept. All said they were bound with clothesline and gagged and blindfolded with panty hose and pillowcases.

Many said their attacker called them by name and said he had been stalking them for a long time. Several were suffocated with pillows until they lost consciousness.

Only two of the women identified Jackson as their attacker.

Jackson's attorneys ackowledged at the start of the trial that he had committed the crimes but said Jackson was insane. Though he functioned normally during the day, he was a brutal rapist at night, the attorneys said.

Jackson's wife of 17 years testified there had been no indication of his activity when he arose early each morning.

A psychiatrist and three psychologists called by the defense described Jackson's mental disorder as obsessive thinking, stemming from involuntary fantasies, that made him act compulsively. They said he could not keep himself from attacking the women, which meets the test of legal insanity in Ohio.

But a psychiatrist and two psychologists called in rebuttal by the prosecution testified that Jackson's disorder is sexual sadism, which involves voluntary actions, and said he could have refrained from the attacks.

Jackson was arrested inside a town house leased by two women who were not at home. Police found his car nearby and impounded it. A search of the car produced a list of the names of 65 women, with a date next to each name. All had been sexually assaulted in Columbus.

On Wednesday, Jackson voluntarily gave up his license to practice medicine in Ohio.