A report in Friday's editions misidentified Israeli Foreign Minister Yitzhak Shamir as defense minister.

Israeli forces and their allies raided five Shiite Moslem villages in southern Lebanon today, bulldozing houses, arresting dozens of people and leaving three persons dead and three wounded in continuing efforts to halt attacks that have killed three Israeli soldiers this week.

In one of the raids, Israeli forces crossed the Litani River, returning for the first time to an area they had left last weekend in the initial part of a three-stage withdrawal that eventually is to remove all Israeli troops from Lebanon.

Defense Minister Yitzhak Shamir, speaking on the armed forces radio, described the raids as "preventive measures" and said Israel hoped they would "prove to the various terrorists that they cannot attack the Israeli Army without receiving heavy punishment."

"Until these attacks stop," Shamir said, "the Army will have to continue in this way without hesitation."

Lebanese state radio said the Foreign Ministry had instructed Lebanon's ambassador to the United Nations, Rashid Fakhoury, to "lodge a complaint with the Security Council against Israel's suppressive practices in occupied Lebanese territory," The Associated Press reported from Beirut.

Lebanese radio, calling the raids an "onslaught and act of savagery," charged that "the Israeli enemy escalated its barbaric and savage acts" in the second day of operations against the Shiite villages, United Press International reported.

The Shiite militia Amal charged that Israel "has gone mad" and it said it would step up "the national resistance against the occupation until the last Israeli soldier has left Lebanese soil," AP said.

Most of the villages raided last night and today were just east and northeast of Tyre, a port city on the Mediterranean coast, although one, Arab Salim, was 20 miles from Tyre, near Nabatiye.

According to accounts from both sides, the Israeli forces, using armored personnel carriers and bulldozers, searched villages, questioned and arrested suspects, demolished homes of some suspects and shot people who tried to flee.

In Deir Qanun an Nahr, according to Timur Goksel, spokesman for the U.N. peace-keeping forces in southern Lebanon, Israeli troops rounded up about 90 men for questioning, arrested 10 and demolished a house.

U.N. forces later found one man dead with several bullet wounds in the head, and three wounded in the village, Goksel said.

Israeli military sources here said that "several" suspects had been arrested in Deir Qanun an Nahr and that one man was killed and two wounded while attempting to escape.

In Tair Debba, Goksel said, Israeli forces questioned nearly 200 men, arrested 32 and demolished two houses. Israeli sources said they destroyed one house and arrested several suspects.

Goksel said Israelis questioned several persons in Yanuh, arrested three and confiscated a pistol.

The Israeli sources did not mention Yanuh, but they said two other villages had been raided, one of them, Zrariye, just north of the Litani River, the new Israeli front line in Lebanon since last weekend's pullback.

In Zrariye, the Israeli sources said, four houses were destroyed and several suspects arrested.

In a raid last night and today on Arab Salim, where an Israeli colonel was killed in an ambush Monday, soldiers of the Israeli-backed South Lebanon Army killed two men. In addition, the sources said, four houses were destroyed, several suspects arrested and a large quantity of weapons was discovered.

Goksel said U.N. soldiers were in or around most of the raided villages but there was no trouble between them and the Israelis.

Last week, Israeli and French soldiers with a U.N. contingent scuffled during a similar raid.

A source in southern Lebanon said that in today's operations the Israelis were "relatively low-key" and "more careful in dealing with the local people" than in the recent past.