* Sept. 15, 1983: Michael Stewart, 25, is arrested by transit police officers for scrawling graffiti in a subway station, is beaten in a scuffle and dies 13 days later. Six transit officers are under indictment.
* Oct. 22, 1984: Eleanor Bumpurs, 66, is shot to death as six police officers try to evict her. An indictment against Officer Steven Sullivan was dismissed.
* Dec. 17, 1984: Six police officers subdue Jose Llopis-Perez, 29, in a Manhattan restaurant. Perez's neck is broken. Officer Alexander Forbes, 36, is indicted for allegedly stepping on Perez's neck.
* Jan. 3, 1985: Officer Joseph Vacchio Jr., 25, fatally shoots Darryl Dodson, 23, an unarmed Brooklyn man. Vacchio is under indictment for second-degree manslaughter.
Feb. 24, 1985: Suspect Paul Fava Jr., 20, is shot to death in a Bronx subway station. Officer Mervin Yearwood is indicted for criminally negligent homicide.
* March 15, 1985: A police car hits and kills psychologist Hyman M. Chernow, 70, and injures doorman Jack Sitowitz, 71, then speeds away. Police Sgt. Frederick Sherman, 37, has been charged with hit-and-run driving, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and leaving the scene of an accident.
* April 14, 1985: Officer Perry Novello, 23, is arrested and charged with terrorizing his ex-girlfriend and her co-worker at a Brooklyn diner.
* April 24, 1985: Off-duty police officer Paul Witschel, 22, is charged with assault for pulling a woman from a parked car outside a Queens bar and punching her to the ground.
* May 1, 1985: Police officer Russell Bjune, 37, is arrested for allegedly assaulting a woman outside a Brooklyn abortion clinic where he was participating in an antiabortion protest.
* May 1, 1985: Authorities say an unmarked police car struck an 11-year-old girl who was riding her bicycle in Queens. The car sped from the scene. The case is under investigation.
* May 1, 1985: A woman and two men file complaints with the Brooklyn district attorney charging that police beat them with a spiked club April 20, causing the woman to miscarry.