A 26-year-old Silver Spring man sought by D.C. police in two shooting incidents that left one man dead and two persons seriously wounded has been arrested by FBI agents in a New York suburb.

FBI spokesman John Hogan said Moncrief Edward Gordon, of 1511 Paula Dr., was arrested about 6:30 a.m. Wednesday in Port Chester, N.Y.

Gordon was arrested on a fugitive warrant and has been charged in the District with murder in the May 12 early morning slaying of Stephen Jackson, 21, of 4925 Fourth St. NW, Hogan said.

Jackson was killed during a shootout outside a martial arts school at 510 Kennedy St. NW where a party was being held.

According to D.C. police spokesman Lt. William White III, Gordon is also charged in the D.C. warrant in a June 3 incident at 17 Danbury St. SW in which two persons were shot and seriously wounded during a quarrel.

Hogan said Gordon had been staying at the Port Chester address for about eight days.

"He was asleep in a bedroom . . . when we got there," Hogan said. "He wasn't armed and didn't resist." Hogan said Gordon was being held in a Manhattan correctional facility pending extradition to the District.

According to police reports on the Kennedy Street shooting, Jackson had been standing outside the school with partygoers when a gunman fired 25 to 30 shots, apparently at random, killing Jackson and shattering several nearby shop windows.

Jackson then staggered to the door of the school and was dragged inside by one of two off-duty police officers who were moonlighting there as security guards.

Shortly after the shooting, one of the officers, David Brown of the 6th District, became involved in a fight with several men inside the school during which his .38-caliber service revolver was taken from him, police said.

Police said Brown left the scene after his gun was taken and did not report the missing weapon until 10 hours after the incident.

Police regulations require that a stolen weapon be reported immediately after the theft to a commanding officer.

Brown and William Ayers of the 1st District, the other off-duty officer, were placed on limited duty after the shooting, pending the completion of an internal investigaton.

Police officials said the investigation has not been completed and the two officers remain on limited duty. It was unclear if Brown's gun has been recovered.