A forest fire burned more than 900 acres along the eastern flank of the Teton Mountains here before subsiding early this morning.

Grand Teton National Park officials said they feared that rising southwest winds could cause the blaze to flare up again and pose a new threat to the park's most popular camping and hiking area, which is around Jenny Lake.

U.S. Forest Service firefighting crews continued to pour into the park. About 500 persons were reported trying to keep the fire contained at mid-day.

Trails into the Avalanche and Garnet Canyon areas, the major approach routes for climbing Grand Teton and other high peaks, remained closed. There are no alternative trails out of Garnet Canyon, and climbers already in the mountains may have to work their way out around Teewinot Mountain.

The major north-south highway that runs close to the foot of the mountains remained closed to tourist traffic. However, fire crews managed to put out several small blazes that wind-driven sparks started east of the road.

Firefighters also stopped the blaze short of the former park headquarters at Beaver Creek, losing only a barn that was one of the most photographed parts of the park. About 15 vacation homes, which had been abandoned, were also spared.

The main lodge at Climbers Ranch was saved but a dormitory and most of the other nearby outbuildings were destroyed.

Late Friday night the fire's glow was still visible many miles to the south. By morning, cooler temperatures and quieter winds, along with the efforts of firefighters, had nearly halted the fire's advance.

The huge pall of smoke that hung over the Jackson Hole valley yesterday dissipated this morning.

Tourists arriving at the main visitor center at the south end of the park were being sent to the Jenny Lake area by way of a 35-mile detour.

Meanwhile, United Press International reported that a fire thought to be nearly out in early August whipped through the Salmon National Forest of Idaho today as it was fanned by winds of 20 to 25 mph and spread quickly into the adjoining Bitterfoot National Forest of Montana.

The fire has scorched 30,500 acres and put five firefighters in the hospital because of smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion.