Text of the note delivered to the State Department by the Soviet Embassy in Washington:

The Embassy of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics in the United States of America deems it necessary to state the following to the Department of State of the United States of America.

On Aug. 1, 1985, in Rome, Italy, Soviet diplomatic officer V.S. Yurchenko, who was there on a short-term business trip, vanished without a trace.

In mid-October, that is, 2 1/2 months after that, the State Department officially confirmed that V.S. Yurchenko was on the territory of the United States. In that context it was asserted that he had allegedly made a request that political asylum be granted him in the United States. However, despite the numerous persistent demands of the U.S.S.R. Embassy in the U.S.A. that a personal meeting be arranged for the Soviet representatives with V.S. Yurchenko, the embassy was constantly denied such a meeting under the pretext that Yurchenko himself allegedly did not want it. At the same time, clearly with the connivance of the U.S. special services, an unbridled anti-Soviet campaign was unleashed in the U.S. mass media to discredit V.S. Yurchenko, to create an impression that he had betrayed his country and had been cooperating with the U.S. intelligence services already for many years.

On Nov. 2, V.S. Yurchenko came in person to the Soviet Embassy in Washington and said that he had been forcibly abducted by some unknown persons in a street in Rome. Unconscious and under the effect of some strong drugs, he was brought from Italy to the U.S.A., where all this time he was kept in isolation and denied the possibility to get in touch with Soviet official representatives. During all this time, while in the hands of the U.S. special services, V.S. Yurchenko was constantly under intensive psychological pressure, was forced to take some drugs in the attempt to get from him information of interest to the American intelligence services.

Due only to the momentary lapse of attention on the part of the persons watching him, V.S. Yurchenko was able to break out to freedom and come to the Soviet Embassy.

It is quite clear that what is involved is a preplanned monstrously inhumane operation of the American special services to abduct and forcibly detain a Soviet diplomat. The above unprecedented actions cannot be described as other than a flagrant trampling upon human rights and dignity, a gross violation of elementary norms of relations between states and of international law, as another concrete manifestation of state terrorism on the part of the U.S. authorities.

The embassy declares a resolute protest to the Department of State and demands that the persons guilty of the criminal act committed against V.S. Yurchenko be severely punished and that the American side apologize for its actions. It goes without saying that V.S. Yurchenko should be given an unimpeded possibility to depart for the Soviet Union.