8804 Ridge Road Bethesda, Md. 20817 4/17/85

Dear Mrs. Bety,

The first time I was allowed to do something on my own was in 1980 when I flew on an airplane to a summer camp in Michigan by myself.

When I found out that I was accepted to the camp, I immediately started to think about how I was going to get to and from Michigan that summer. My parents and I discussed the matter and we all agreed that taking a plane would be the best way of transportation and that it would also serve as a first experience of my doing something on my own.

We went to the airport on the day of my departure, and as I got nearer to my flight, I got more and more excited. I hopped aboard the plane, said goodbye to my parents, and pretty soon we took off and I was flying in a real airplane all by myself.

It was just as much fun as I had expected. The stewardesses served me drinks, gave me some peanuts and other snacks and were very friendly and polite.

In fact, I was having so much fun that I completely lost track of time, and realized that we would be landing in just a few minutes. Well, we landed and I got off the plane.

I was a little sad when the flight was over, but I knew that I had another exciting ride on an airplane ahead of me when I was going to come home again.

I hope that by sharing my story of the first time I was allowed to do something on my own, you can see what a fun and exciting experience it was for me. Sincerely yours, Katie Barrett

Not a long while ago, I was faced with a very difficult decision. It was whether I should go out with my friends after school, or come home like my mother asked me to. I didn't make a very good choice at that time -- I decided to go with my friends. It was such a difficult decision for a number of reasons: the fact that my mom told me to come home in the first place, I know I should have gone home, and I even felt guilty not doing the right thing. But I went with my friends anyway, just because I didn't want to miss out on a good time with them. Oh sure, we had a lot of fun. We got something to eat, drove around, went to a couple of different stores, and it was great. But when I got home around 5:15 my mom was furious. She went through the whole long lecture of how irresponsible I am, and how I only do the things that I want to do -- not what I'm supposed to do. I was grounded for the next two weekends as a result of my wrong decision of the difficult situation I was in.