Anne M. Burford, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, resigned in 1983 after a confrontation with Congress over withheld documents and charges that she presided over mismanagement and political manipulation of agency programs. Burford was accused of delaying a toxic waste cleanup grant to California to avoid aiding the Democratic Senate campaign of then-Gov. Edmund G. (Jerry) Brown Jr., and of suggesting to a New Mexico refiner that it would not be prosecuted if it failed to meet EPA lead standards.

Rita M. Lavelle, head of the EPA's toxic waste cleanup program, was convicted in 1983 of lying to Congress about the date on which she learned that her former employer, Aerojet-General Corp., had dumped wastes at a California site under investigation by EPA. Lavelle, also convicted of obstructing a congressional inquiry, was sentenced to six months in prison.

John A. Todhunter, an assistant EPA administrator, resigned in 1983 after allegations that he was unduly influenced by private meetings with chemical industry lobbyists before deciding not to regulate formaldehyde and other toxic substances. Todhunter, who denied the allegations, also threw away personal calendars sought by Congress. His office awarded a contract to a company that had previously employed him.

John W. Hernandez Jr., acting EPA administrator, resigned in 1983 after allegations that he pressured agency officials to tone down a report that named Dow Chemical Co. as a source of dioxin contamination in Michigan.

James W. Sanderson, a part-time EPA consultant to Burford who simultaneously represented private companies regulated by the agency, was alleged to have participated in EPA discussions that may have benefited Chemical Waste Management and several other clients. Sanderson, who denied any conflict, later withdrew as a candidate for EPA's No. 3 job.

John P. Horton, an assistant EPA administrator, resigned in 1983 after allegations that he used his EPA office and an aide to do work for several of his private businesses on government time.

Matthew N. Novick, EPA inspector general, resigned in 1983 after allegations that he used his government driver and a secretary for personal errands and mishandled agency investigations.

Robert M. Perry, EPA general counsel, was investigated for possible perjury for telling Congress that he was not familiar with "green books" containing information, much of it derogatory, on his subordinates. Perry also testfied that he did not sign an EPA settlement agreement with a subsidiary of Exxon, his former employer, despite evidence that he had signed the document. Perry resigned in 1983.

Louis J. Cordia, EPA's deputy chief of federal activities, resigned in 1983 after it was confirmed that he had compiled a "hit list" of agency employes to be hired, fired or promoted because of their political leanings.

Peter K. Bibko, Philadelphia regional chief of the EPA, was dismissed in 1983 after investigators found he took questionable sick leave, was frequently driven between Washington and Philadelphia by a government chauffeur and charged the agency for personal phone calls.