Giles Lewis Thompson, 15, developed bleeding in his arms and legs tonight after his rescue Thursday afternoon from a snow cave on Mount Hood where he and seven other climbers were trapped for three days.

In operations at separate hospitals here Thursday night, Thompson and the only other survivor among those found in the cave, Brinton Clark, had their blood pumped through bypass machines and warmed, raising their temperatures slowly to normal.

Doctors at Providence Medical Center said Thompson's bleeding began tonight at the site of incisions made earlier to relieve swelling in his limbs and was caused by tissue damage from the cold. They said they were able to stabilize his condition again by administering a coagulant and blood products.

"We think we are headed in the right direction," said Dr. James Asaph, a cardiovascular surgeon. "I would hope that within the next 24 hours, we can say the coagulation problem is solved."

Asaph said Thompson's condition remained critical and that the teen-ager would be watched closely for the next 24 hours for internal bleeding.

Doctors said Thompson and Clark probably will not remember their three days in a hand-dug snow cave on the mountain, the helicopter flight to Portland or the operations that thawed their half-frozen bodies.

"Maybe Mother Nature is kind," said Dr. William Long of Emanuel Hospital here.

Long, who had tried unsuccessfully to revive three climbers found outside the cave earlier this week, watched near midnight Thursday as Clark's parents sobbed to see her "whole and intact" after being rescued just before sundown.

Air Force Master Sgt. Charlie Ek of the 304th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron had found Thompson on top of Clark in the middle of the huddle, surrounded by the bodies of six dead companions.

Thirteen climbers, all from Oregon Episcopal School here, dug the cave Monday when they were trapped in a sudden whiteout. Two of the climbers -- guide Ralph Summers, 30, and student Molly Schula, 17 -- walked 16 miles for help Tuesday, and the bodies of three more were discovered Wednesday.

Thompson's doctor at Providence Medical Center, Dr. Duane Bietz, said it would not surprise him if his patient "didn't remember much at all."

Although neither Clark nor Thompson could talk because of respirator tubes in their throats, both teen-agers recognized their parents and responded to simple requests to blink their eyes and squeeze doctors' hands.

The six victims in the cave were identified as the Rev. Thomas Goman, 42, a math and science teacher who had climbed the mountain 18 times. Marion Horwell, 40, dean of students; Richard Haeder, Pat Mcginness and Tasha Amy, all 15; and Susan Elizabeth McClave, 17. The three found dead Wednesday were Eric L. Sanvik, Erin O'Leary and Alison Litzenberger, all 15.

United Press International reported that Alison's father, Wayne Litzenberger, an engineer for the Bonneville Power Administration, said, "It's an awful combination of . . . grief and anger. One of the reasons she is dead is that the trip was not properly planned."

Summers said he left the climbers in the cave Tuesday because help had to be found and one boy was too cold to go. He said Thursday that he called into the cave and "I said, 'Who in there feels strong?' and Molly popped out of the cave."

Howling snowstorms prevented the search from beginning Monday, when the climbers were due back, or Tuesday. As many as 37 mountaineers and paramedics, following Summers' lead, combed the mountain Wednesday with probing poles and dogs trained to pick up human scents and heartbeats through snow.

The cave was found late Thursday afternoon at the 8,300-foot level on the 11,245-foot mountain when Ek's 12-foot aluminum probe hit something soft -- a climber's backpack. More probing yielded two more backpacks, some climbing equipment and an hollow space where the digging began.

Ek said later that he saw a small hole, dug it out and broke into the cave. "There was noise," he said. "They were moaning and groaning. That's all we need to hear -- life."

The snow cave held eight climbers, two of whom were disoriented but awake. Attempts to revive the six others failed.

Ek emerged from the cave and shouted: "They're talking to us!"

"I wanted to beat him up for joking about it," Master Sgt. Richard Harder told reporters later. He passed the first word of a rescue when he radioed the base camp, "We have patients."

What followed was several hours of organized frenzy, punctuated by barked orders, elation and tears. Harder ordered medical equipment flown up by helicopter.

"Make several trips if you have to, but get it up here NOW," he radioed. "Shovel!"

Harder first ordered four sleds to take the climbers from their cave to a flat landing area for helicopters, then radioed "We got one, two, three, four, five." He then trailed off and said elatedly, "We need another four litters up here," indicating that all eight had been found. With all eight on helicopters speeding to Portland 60 miles away, Harder, Ek and 15 other rescuers returned to the lodge parking lot to cheers, hugs and backslapping.

In the last 10 years, the 304th squadron has been credited with saving almost 400 lives, including 66 during the 1980 eruption of nearby Mount Saint Helens in Washington. The 304th is also one of the primary rescue-support units on standby duty during launches from Florida of the space shuttle.

When the last of the rescuers left the last helicopter, it was difficult to tell whether their faces were dripping sweat, tears or both. Later, they sat together in a bar, cheering as word was broadcast that two of the eight were alive. Their mood changed with news of six deaths.