1965: Ronald W. Pelton joins the National Security Agency, the most secret of U.S. intelligence agencies, as a communications specialist. During his 14 years with the NSA, Pelton has a top-secret clearance and works in signals intelligence, which includes the monitoring of communications, radar and data on missile performance. April 1979: Pelton declares personal bankruptcy. In his filing, he lists debts of $64,650, including first and second mortgages on a home he valued at $31,000. July 1979: Pelton resigns from NSA. Over the next few years, he holds a variety of jobs, including selling boats, cars, real estate and working as a nutritional and fitness counselor. Jan. 14, 1980: With only a few hundred dollars in his bank account, Pelton meets with Soviet officials at the embassy in Washington and agrees to sell them information. Among others, Pelton speaks with Soviet Embassy security officer Vitaly Yerchencko. He identifies for Soviet officials on a map a U.S. intelligence collection project targeted at the Soviet Union. Later, he stays in touch with the Soviets through prearranged phone calls he receives at a wall phone at Pizza Castle in Falls Church. October 1980 and January 1983: Pelton travels to Austria, where he stays at the Soviet Embassy compound. During both trips, he spends several days in debriefing sessions with KGB agent Anatoly Slavnov and is questioned in detail about sensitive information he had access to at NSA. Pelton also makes a third trip to Vienna in April 1985, but misses connections with Soviet agents. July 1985: Yurchenko, now a KGB colonel in Moscow, defects to the United States. He provides information that leads the FBI to Pelton. Nov. 25: The FBI arrests Pelton, working as an Annapolis yacht salesman, after five hours of questioning at the Annapolis Hilton in which he acknowledges selling intelligence information to the Soviets. Dec. 20: A federal grand jury indictment charges Pelton with one count of conspiring to deliver national defense information to the Soviet Union, four counts of delivering or attempting to deliver that information and one count of transmitting communications intelligence to an unauthorized person. Further, the indictment alleges that Pelton received payments totaling $35,000 in exchange for information given during his trips to Vienna. Dec. 23: Pelton pleads not guilty. Jan. 16, 1986: Pelton's lawyers argue that his statements to the FBI should not be admitted as trial evidence. Defense attorneys suggest that FBI agents led Pelton to believe he could escape prosecution by cooperating with them and agreeing to work as a double agent for the U.S. May 15: A federal judge in Baltimore rules that prosecutors can use Pelton's statements to the FBI as evidence. May 27: Pelton's trial on espionage charges begins. June 5: Pelton is convicted of four of five counts of spying.