MOSCOW, JUNE 1 -- West German diplomats today made their first visit to the young German pilot who eluded Soviet air defenses in a daredevil flight to the wall of the Kremlin last week, while a Soviet spokesman suggested that more military officials would be punished for the incident.

In the first official briefing on the affair, Foreign Ministry spokesman Gennadi Gerasimov told reporters that "human error" was to blame in allowing the pilot, Mathias Rust, to roam unperturbed through Soviet airspace, slipping past the country's massive air defense system. "I believe that those who did not live up to their military responsibilities will be punished accordingly," he said.

Two senior officials, Defense Minister Sergei Sokolov and Commander in Chief of Air Defenses Alexander Koldunov, already have been dismissed following the incident.

"The air defense had the task of landing the aircraft, but not to shoot it down," Foreign Ministry official Vadim Loginov said at today's briefing. "But they did not cope with this task either," he added.

Soviet spokesmen could not say how Rust managed to glide over the border from Finland into Soviet Estonia even though two Soviet aircraft reportedly approached him at one point. Gerasimov said he thought the two planes had attempted to bring down Rust's aircraft.

Asked whether he thought Rust had been involved in an organized conspiracy, Gerasimov said, "Whether he acted alone or it was something else, whether it was an act of hooliganism or there were some more serious intentions -- it is yet too early to make the final judgment."

Citing West German media reports, Gerasimov said Rust's Cessna airplane was "specially adapted {to make the trip}, lightened and fitted with extra fuel tanks, among other things," and that the pilot charted his course over maps and a mock-up after seeking advice from Finnish air route experts.

Three West German officials, led by the consular chief of the West German Embassy here, Gerhard Schroembgens, met with Rust in Moscow's Lefortovo Prison, an embassy spokesman said today. They carried a message from Rust's parents in Hamburg, he said. Rust "gave quite a calm impression" during the 30-minute meeting, the spokesman added.

Emphasizing that the investigation into Rust's case is still going on, Gerasimov said that the West German faces possible imprisonment of up to 10 years or a fine of up to about $1,500.

{Rust could be held for up to two months while his case is being investigated, and this inquiry could be extended to nine months, a West German Embassy spokesman told United Press International.}

Western diplomats said Moscow may seek to close the case soon, however, to keep it from marring the planned visit to the Soviet Union of West German President Richard von Weizsacker, scheduled for early July.