A Forestville woman said yesterday that two kiosk attendants at the Addison Road Metro station "expressed no concern" three weeks ago when she reported receiving a mild shock after stepping on an electrified metal plate, which was blamed for the death Thursday of a Northeast Washington girl.

Ella Simmons said she felt a shock as she walked across the 2-foot-by-2-foot plate in the sidewalk behind the bus shelters at the station about 8:15 p.m. on May 15. She said yesterday the ground was wet and when she stepped on the plate it "felt like something was holding me there for a second."

She said when she informed the kiosk attendants at the station on Central Avenue, they told her the plate "doesn't belong to us {Metro}, it belongs to Pepco." They did not indicate that they planned to call Potomac Electric Power Co., she said.

Pepco and Metro agree that the plate, and the electrical wires underneath it, belong to the transit agency. Pepco received no report of a problem there, a Pepco spokeswoman said yesterday.

Metro "will thoroughly investigate the woman's allegations" during its investigation of Thursday's fatal accident, spokeswoman Beverly Silverberg said. Four persons -- the girl's playmate and three would-be rescuers -- were injured in the incident, which occurred around 4 p.m.

The girls, Alice Marie Lucy and Dominique Lee, both 12, were playing behind the bus shelters outside the station when Lucy fell on the plate, which covers wires that carry power to the outdoor parking lot gate arms and lights, officials said.

Lucy, the daughter of a Metro bus driver, was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center, where she died at 5:16 p.m. of "electrical injuries," according to a hospital official.

Lee, who lives in Forestville, and the three men who tried to help Lucy as she lay on the plate also suffered electrical injuries. They were taken to the hospital and released after being examined.

Silverberg said she knew of no similar incident in Metro's 11-year history. Metro electricians were inspecting each of the more than 1,400 plates covering other electrical wires yesterday throughout the system's 64 stations, Silverberg said.

The plates cover 3-foot-deep concrete boxes where underground wires from electrical equipment vaults underneath the station platform and from outdoor lights and parking gates are connected. The wires, carrying 120 to 277 volts, emerge from insulated underground pipes into the box, where they are joined by metal connectors wrapped with insulating tape, according to an electrical engineer familiar with Metro's system.

If an electrical problem occurs, the connections can easily be inspected by removing the metal plate, which is usually bolted. Metal lids are used because they are durable, the engineer said.

A Prince George's County police captain at the Addison Road station Thursday night reported seeing an exposed wire under the plate.

Metro officials would not comment yesterday on how the plate could have become electrically charged, citing the continuing investigation.

At the station, the plate had been temporarily removed to allow a Metro electrician to wrap tape around each bulbous connection. The bottom of the box was filled with about six inches of water, presumably from the rainstorm that passed through the area Thursday.

Metro would not say when the box was last opened, but Silverberg said the wires are not inspected unless a problem occurs. Metro was not aware of any electrical problems at the station, she said.