The surgeon in Grundy, Va., performed unjustified hysterectomies on three women in their twenties, seriously botched a number of deliveries, and in one case unnecessarily circumcised a 15-year-old youth who had a bullet wound in his foot, according to allegations brought before the Virginia Board of Medicine.

Faced with these allegations, which the board never resolved, Dr. Faiq A. Masri agreed not to renew his Virginia medical license, which expired in 1986, two years after the case came to the attention of the board and seven years after the first incident allegedly occurred at Buchanan Hospital in Grundy, a depressed coal-mining town in southwestern Virginia.

Masri said in an interview that he had done nothing improper and dropped his fight because of his treatment by the board. He blamed the allegations on a jealous rival surgeon and said that the youth he circumcised had been in to see him before about a problem that required the surgery.

He moved his practice about 20 miles away across the border to Elkhorn City in Kentucky, where he received a license to practice in May 1986.

The hospital brought the allegations to the Board of Medicine in July 1984, according to a spokesman. An administrative hearing on the allegations was scheduled for October 1986 and never held. After his license expired in July, Masri informed the board that he was moving to another state. The board accepted his agreement not to renew his license and dropped the case.

Kentucky is investigating him because of the proceeding in Virginia, according to a Kentucky agency spokeswoman.


In 1975, an angry father complained to the Fairfax Medical Society that a dermatologist had made sexual advances to his teen-age daughter.

More than three years later, another father made the same complaint to the medical society after his 15-year-old daughter had an appointment with the doctor.

The complaints later were referred to the Virginia Board of Medicine.

Also, allegations went before the board that the doctor had a series of physical maladies, including fainting spells and dizziness, that kept him from giving competent medical attention to his patients.

In 1981, the board notified Dr. David I. Kabir, the dermatologist, of an informal conference to look into the allegations. The board did not resolve the allegations. However, in early 1982, with his consent, the board placed Kabir on probation with several conditions, including that he undergo a psychiatric evaluation and that a female attendant be present when he examined female patients.

According to his attorney, Kabir denied making sexual advances and blamed the allegations on a disgruntled employe he had fired. He said he had minor physical problems but nothing that would affect his practice.

Since then, the board twice found that Kabir had violated certain terms of the probation. But the board continued to let Kabir practice on probation, with additional conditions, to which he agreed.

In July 1986, 11 years after the first complaint against him, the board revoked Kabir's license, finding that among other things he had not had the required psychiatric evaluation. At the revocation hearing, he said he had not complied because he was physically impaired with a broken leg.

Kabir has appealed the revocation to the Alexandria Circuit Court, arguing that the board never found any misconduct. His attorney said the two teen-age patients had not been available to talk with the board about the allegations and that the board had no other evidence against the doctor.

State Board of Medicine officials could not explain what had happened between the first complaint in 1975 and the first board conference in 1981. The Fairfax Medical Society, which does not keep records of complaints, was equally vague about its actions.

Neither the teen-age patients, who now would be in their mid- to late twenties, nor their fathers could be located in the Washington area.


The investigator for the state Board of Nursing concluded in May 1984 that Paul V. Rittelmeyer, a nurse who had worked at National Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Hospital in Arlington, apparently charted "doses of narcotics that were not actually administered" to the patients who were supposed to get them.

But the investigator did not find evidence that the nurse had diverted drugs for his own use, which was the allegation brought to the board by the hospital. "The diversion of Demerol {a narcotic painkiller} was suspected but not proved," and it had been denied by Rittelmeyer, the investigator's report stated.

The board took no disciplinary action against him, but it expressed concern about his record-keeping.

Two years later, Rittelmeyer was before the board again. This time he admitted diverting Demerol from patients and injecting himself with the drug while on duty at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va., according to another investigator's report. The investigation documented 40 doses that the nurse diverted over a three-week period.

He consented to the board's suspension of his license, which was to remain in effect until he completed a drug treatment program and convinced the board that he should be reinstated.

A spokesman for Mary Washington Hospital, which informed the board of its discovery of the diversion, said that Rittelmeyer was a temporary nurse who had come from an agency, and that the hospital had not checked his background.

Drug abuse accounted for nearly one-third of all complaints brought against nurses in Virginia last year. Health regulatory boards director Bernard L. Henderson Jr. said that more drug and alcohol problems are being reported now, though this may reflect greater willingness to alert the board rather than an increase in substance abuse by health professionals.