MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE, JULY 22 -- The government said today it had buried most of the 380 people reported killed in a rebel massacre, and the official news agency released grisly photographs of bodies.
AIM, the news agency, said the pictures were taken by a cotton mill worker on Sunday, a day after the massacre in Homoine, 300 miles north of Maputo.
One photograph was of bodies stacked on a wagon. Another depicted a woman wearing hospital clothing and wrapped in a blanket. A third showed a man's body next to that of a child whose head had been crushed.
The Marxist government blamed the Mozambique National Resistance. The guerrilla group, known by the Portuguese acronym Renamo, has been fighting since 1977, two years after independence from Portugal, and began attacking civilians in 1982.
Organization of African Unity officials said in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, that the 50-nation group condemned the massacre. Ministers preparing for the annual summit July 27-29 also asked the Mozambican government for more details on the killings, the officials said.
Mozambique claims South Africa's white authorities back the rebels and were "directly responsible" for the massacre. South Africa's Foreign Ministry denied the charge. The rebels also denied responsibility.
Communications in this southeast African country are poor and details of the massacre were sketchy. AIM, state radio and government officials said the rebels entered Homoine at 5:45 a.m. Saturday and began slaughtering people with gunfire, bayonets and knives.
Yesterday, the news agency said rebels had been infiltrating the area for about two months and had received parachute drops of arms and supplies from South African air force planes.
It said the parachutes were U.S.-made and its reporters had seen one inscribed "US HUDCO-63" at army headquarters in Maputo.