A federal judge threw out D.C. Mayor Marion Barry's suit against U.S. Attorney Joseph E. diGenova yesterday, ruling that none of the newspaper articles and television broadcasts on which Barry based his case showed leaks of secret grand jury information or misconduct by diGenova.

"The conclusion is inescapable that {Barry} has failed" to make a case against diGenova and Attorney General Edwin Meese III, Chief U.S. District Judge Aubrey E. Robinson Jr. said in a 15-page opinion that analyzed each of the 17 newspaper articles and three television broadcasts.

The mayor's counsel, Herbert O. Reid Sr., said in a statement last night, "If prosecutors are given a green light in this practice of leaking . . . they will be able to destroy public officials by innuendo and rumor." He said he will file a notice of appeal on Monday.

Noting that Robinson, as chief judge, presides over the grand jury process, Reid added, "The conduct about which we complained has occurred during his watch."

A spokesman for diGenova's office said, "The chief judge's opinion speaks eloquently for itself and we will have no further comment."

Government attorneys said last night it is unclear from legal precedents if Robinson's order can be reviewed by an appeals court.

In his suit, filed June 12, Barry alleged that diGenova and Meese -- through what Barry said were leaks to news reporters of grand jury information about past probes and a current investigation of D.C. government contracting -- had interfered with his ability to govern.

He asked Robinson to stop future leaks, impose sanctions on diGenova and Meese, order disclosure of all information now before the grand juries investigating city agencies and make it more difficult for diGenova's office to issue grand jury subpoenas.

The suit was seen by some as partly a public offensive designed to blunt attention focused on his administration by the wide-ranging probe of contracting that diGenova disclosed on May 22.

That day, scores of FBI agents searched the offices of two D.C. businessmen with close ties to Barry, and the homes of convicted cocaine dealer Karen K. Johnson and of top Barry aide David E. Rivers. Fifteen grand jury subpoenas were issued to six city agencies.

Barry and others, including six national black political and economic groups that lodged a friend-of-the-court brief in the case, also used the legal challenge to complain that white Republicans in the Reagan administration are harassing black Democratic officeholders in an effort to discredit them.

Robinson never approved the groups' intervention in Barry's suit and did not address any of their complaints in his ruling.

Reid denied that the lawsuit was filed as a "public relations gimmick," saying that it was a "serious complaint of the violation of constitutionally protected rights."

Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) had scheduled a hearing Thursday of his House Judiciary subcommittee on civil and constitutional rights on the alleged attempts to undermine black leadership, but it was canceled yesterday without explanation.

Rivers, who has been on administrative leave from his post as secretary of the District of Columbia, has filed a similar request for sanctions against diGenova, but it was sealed by the court. Rivers' attorney, John Mercer, said yesterday that there had been no ruling on Rivers' request.

Mercer said he had not seen the opinion in the Barry suit and could not comment on it.

The legal setback for Barry is the latest in a number of failed efforts by the mayor to bring formal actions against diGenova.

Twice previously in the past three years, Barry has complained bitterly of alleged leaks and tried to get the Justice Department to investigate diGenova's handling of District government probes. An appeal to the Congress to review actions by diGenova's office also failed.

Barry's latest complaint against diGenova prompted a public rally of support for the mayor that was highlighted by a June 25 demonstration on the steps of the District Building. It was at that rally that Del. Walter E. Fauntroy (D-D.C.) announced that the groups would file the friend-of-the-court brief.

The brief was supported by the National Black Leadership Roundtable, the National Black Caucus of State Legislators, the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials, the National Conference of Black Mayors, the National Association of Black County Officials and members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Neither Fauntroy nor Lezli Baskerville, attorney for the groups, could be reached for comment yesterday.

In analyzing the news stories Barry cited in support of his complaint against diGenova and Meese, Robinson noted that several were based on "search warrant returns that are a matter of public record." Eighteen of the reports, he said, contained nothing relating specifically to matters now before federal grand juries.

Referring to some Washington Post stories cited by Barry, Robinson said, "these six news articles provide not a scintilla of evidence to establish" a violation of the grand jury secrecy rules.

Staff writer Gwen Ifill contributed to this report.