HONOLULU, AUG. 25 -- Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos and their entourage have been granted the right to remain in the United States for another year under "special parole" status, an official of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service said today.
Marcos' existing parole would have expired Wednesday. He was initially admitted to the country for six months in February 1986 after his ouster in a military coup supporting Corazon Aquino and her "people power" revolution in the Philippines.
The extension applies to all 89 members of the Marcos party, which arrived at Hickam Air Force Base 18 months ago aboard U.S. military aircraft, except any who may have left the United States without permission.
Marcos' former chief of staff, Fabian Ver, who arrived with the party, has disappeared and is considered a fugitive somewhere outside the United States. Ver is being sought for questioning by a U.S. grand jury investigating alleged kickbacks in Philippines arms purchases.
David Gulick, acting district director of the immigration office here, said the decision to extend parole was made in Washington and relayed to officials here last week.
Last month the State Department warned that Marcos could be placed in a federal detention center if he became involved in efforts to destabilize the Aquino government and violated the conditions of his residence in the United States.
Marcos has complained in the past that he was brought to the United States against his will and is virtually being held prisoner.