ALPINE, N.J., AUG. 26 -- A brutally beaten 22-year-old woman was found in a grave where authorities fear she may have been buried alive for as long as 60 hours, and police today arrested two of four suspected kidnapers, authorities said.

The critically injured woman, Cheryl Ickson, was revived by paramedics who found her at 2 a.m. Tuesday in a five-foot-deep grave off a roadway in Alpine, eight miles from the George Washington Bridge.

Police arrested Lori Ann Mitchell, 18, of West Haverstraw, N.Y., and her boyfriend Dwayne Johnson, 24, of Stony Point, N.Y., on charges they abducted Ickson in her own car from a shopping center in Stony Point Sunday and viciously beat her, Rockland County, N.Y., District Attorney Kenneth Gribetz said.

They were held without bail on charges of first-degree assault, first-degree kidnaping and first-degree robbery.

Mitchell and Johnson, who was out on bail on a narcotics charge, allegedly continuously struck Ickson on the head, face and body, Gribetz said.

"She had been brutally beaten beyond recognition," said Gribetz.

A nationwide manhunt was launched for two other suspects in the abduction, John Robinson, 21, and his wife Nora, 21, both of Haverstraw, N.Y., Gribetz said.

A confidential informant led police to the area where Ickson was buried alive in a 5-foot-deep, 12-foot-long, 3-foot-wide pit under mounds of dirt. The pit was dug 1,000 feet off Highway 9W.

The woman was revived by paramedics and rushed to a hospital in Nyack, N.Y..

"She's in critical condition and can't communicate," Gribetz said.

"She was beaten severely about the brain area, {but} her condition is improving," he said.

Investigators feared they would unearth a dead woman but found Ickson clinging to life after languishing for as long as 60 hours under mounds of dirt, the district attorney said.

Shortly after police issued a report on Ickson's stolen car, a Bronx police officer pulled the car over, but a woman inside claimed she was Ickson and the vehicle was allowed to proceed.

About 45 minutes later, the car was found abandoned in the Bronx.