MANILA, AUG. 29 (SATURDAY) -- Troops loyal to President Corazon C. Aquino today appeared to have put down a violent and bloody coup attempt by hundreds of rebel soldiers who attacked the presidential palace and several television stations and seized and burned the military headquarters building here.

Reports reaching here from the central Philippine island of Cebu said a renegade brigadier general who took complete control of the island had surrendered his command after releasing the Cebu City mayor, who had been under house arrest.

Radio stations in Cebu, which were closed during the rebel military takeover, were back on the air this morning. Mutinous troops had padlocked government offices and arrested civilian officials on the island during the rebellion.

Government troops last night regained control of the sprawling Camp Aguinaldo complex in suburban Quezon City after a savage, daylong firefight during which the pro-Aquino forces used two World War II-vintage fighter planes to drop bombs on the rebel-held Armed Forces General Headquarters building.

Military officials said about 350 rebel troops surrendered at nightfall, and the government returned this morning to conduct "mopping up" operations against the remaining 50 mutineers.

Military officials also said that about 200 rebel troops surrendered at the Camelot Hotel, where they had taken refuge after being repulsed from the government-run television station, also in Quezon City. During the day yesterday government troops strafed the Gothic-style hotel with helicopters that exchanged fierce automatic weapons fire with the mutineers inside.

The remaining rebels surrendered this morning from a key military camp they had seized in Pampanga province on northern Luzon. Aquino was scheduled to visit that camp yesterday for a meeting with regional military leaders, but her trip was canceled when the coup attempt was launched.

The leader of the coup, Col. Gregorio "Gringo" Honasan, appeared to have escaped during the bombardment of Camp Aguinaldo. Several television and radio stations said Honasan might have fled on a helicopter. The military issued a "shoot-to-kill" order if the rebel leader is found.

Government troops threw a cordon around Manila in case an armed forces officer, believed sympthetic to the rebels, carried out a threat to lead a force of more than 1,000 troops to attack the capital from the northern Cagayan Valley region, a stronghold of anti-Aquino sentiment. By mid-morning today, there were no reports of any troop movements in the north.

The coup attempt, which began when rebel troops attacked the presidential palace early yesterday morning, marks by far the bloodiest and most serious threat to Aquino's fragile 18-month-old government. Even with the rebellion crushed, it has succeeded in bringing into sharp focus the deep animosity in some sectors of the military toward the Aquino government.

At least 30 persons were killed during the uprising, most of them civilians caught in cross fire.

Several spectators were killed outside the palace when the mutineers opened fire on a crowd shouting "Cory! Cory!" to show their support for the government. A New Zealand free-lance photographer was among those killed during a fierce gun battle for control of the government television station. Government troops apparently mistook his camera flash for a weapon and shot him in the head, media reports said. In another incident, a Filipino photographer for a local newspaper also was killed.

More than 100 persons were wounded throughout the day yesterday, including Aquino's only son, 25-year-old Benigno (Noynoy) Aquino III, who apparently was ambushed during the palace siege.

He was listed in stable condition with gunshot wounds in one leg and an arm. Three of his companions were killed in the attack and another was seriously wounded.

The coup attempt was at least the fifth major effort by disgruntled soldiers to overthrow Aquino. Several other plots were uncovered before they could be enacted.

The previous coup attempts all came after widespread rumors of some pending action, usually telegraphed to the local and foreign media through the grapevine of right-wing supporters of former president Ferdinand Marcos who warned reporters when they should not leave town.

Usually the Manila newspapers run headlines warning of a planned strike over a particular weekend. This coup attempt, however, seemed to catch everyone by surprise.

It also differed from other recent plots because, while other coup attempts involved the largely discredited Marcos loyalists, this more serious action involved some of the very soldiers who launched the revolt that installed Aquino in power in February 1986.

Honasan, leader of this revolt, was formerly the security officer for Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile when Enrile was defense minister. One of the question marks was the whereabouts of Enrile, the Senate opposition leader whose strident anti-Aquino criticisms over the past year have provided a rallying point for disgruntled soldiers.

Enrile did not attend an emergency Senate session called yesterday to discuss the coup attempt, and reporters were unable to contact him.

Honasan was one of the founding members of the Reform the Armed Forces Movement, known as RAM, which became a catalyst for anti-Marcos sentiment within the military. The colonel also was instrumental in thwarting the first coup attempt against Aquino when Marcos loyalists took over the Manila Hotel in the capital. Honasan com-"I have nothing to say to these traitors . . . . The assault is to continue until the rebellion is crushed. There will be no terms. We will defeat and punish these traitors."

-- President Corazon Aquino

manded some of the pro-Aquino troops who surrounded the hotel.

Enrile was fired as defense minister last November after armed forces chief of staff Gen. Fidel V. Ramos said the young RAM officers, presumably including Honasan, were plotting a coup. But no disciplinary action was taken, and the "RAM boys," as they are called, were dispersed to various posts around the country.

Since Aquino came to power, RAM members have complained bitterly that she has followed some of the same policies that they wanted to reverse, such as promoting officers because of their political loyalty.

They also have criticized Aquino and her advisers for being too soft in combating the communist insurgency, while acting harshly against soldiers accused of human rights abuses.

The RAM soldiers, mostly young mid-level officers, also have been sharply critical of the military's leadership under Ramos, whom they have accused of being weak and of siding with Aquino at the expense of the military.

At the start of this revolt, Honasan demanded that both Aquino and Ramos resign.

At the height of the revolt yesterday morning, Honasan told a local newspaper reporter that he was acting out of concern that the military and political leadership had become too weak to fight the communist New People's Army.

"This is not a military takeover," Honasan said in the interview published in this morning's Philippine Inquirer. "We are not after a military junta."

Honasan was also quoting as saying that Enrile, his mentor, was not involved in the revolt.

Early in the rebellion, the momentum appeared to be with the rebels and their numbers appeared to be growing, leaving many analysts wondering whether Aquino might be in serious danger of being overthrown.

The rebels in a short span managed to seize Camp Aguinaldo, including the Armed Forces General Headquarters building. Rebel troops also seized two television stations and were making a major assault on Channel Four, the government-run station.

At Villamor Air Base, home of the Philippine Air Force, rebels appeared to have seized the base and taken the commanding general hostage.

The situation soon developed into a standoff between the rebels and government loyalist troops. Hours later the government managed to get helicopters into the air for the first time during the revolt -- albeit under heavy fire -- marking a significant turning point in the rebellion by giving the government control of the skies.

While the rebels appeared to have had the upper hand during the morning yesterday -- Honasan was said to have exuded confidence in radio interviews -- the momentum clearly shifted in the afternoon when the Army and the Marines sided with the government.

The Army is the largest and most significant of the service branches, and their support is considered crucial to keeping the government in power.

The Marines are considered the elite and most professional of the services that remained loyal to Aquino throughout the crisis.

The government also scored a major victory shortly before 2 p.m. when troops loyal to Aquino wrested control of Channel Four from the rebels.

At about 3 p.m., Aquino, looking grim and speaking in terse, bitter tones, appeared on television to announce that she had ordered an assault on the remaining rebels and would not negotiate.

"I have nothing to say to these traitors," Aquino said. "We have opened up with artillery. The assault is to continue until the rebellion is crushed. There will be no terms."

She added, "We will defeat and punish these traitors."

With the rebels holed up in Camp Aguinaldo and their momentum slipping away, Ramos moved his headquarters across the street to another military base, Camp Crame, where he directed a fierce artillery bombardment of the rebel stronghold.

Soldiers crouched behind hedges and parked cars on the Camp Crame side of the highway and engaged in pitched battles with rebels, who returned fire with howitzers and M16 rifles.

At the height of the siege of Camp Aguinaldo, two prop-driven fighter planes swooped down over the General Headquarters building and dropped bombs on it, partially destroying the western wing.

Flames and black smoke billowed from the building late into the evening.

One military official said the rebels set fire to the building -- and specifically Ramos' office -- before the bombing in an attempt to cover their retreat.

The ground assault on the camp was led by the battle-hardened Marines. The fighting inside the camp was fierce, forcing hundreds of civilian residents inside to flee for cover.

Earlier there was speculation that Honasan might try to link up with the rebels at Cebu.

Ramos, speaking later to reporters, said Honasan "apparently abandoned his men."

"He {Honasan} should turn himself in since the cause he espoused is a lost cause," Ramos said. "They did not have civilian support."

Ramos also said he had ordered the renegade general in Cebu removed from his command, but there was no word that the order was heeded.

Last night, some politicians voiced surprising sympathy for the rebel soldiers' grievances, even while deploring their methods.

"The government and the rebels should try to communicate," said Salvador H. Laurel, the vice president and foreign minister. "We are not enemies. We are all Filipinos . . . . We must find out what it is these rebels are willing to die for." He said the government must "look into the rebel complaints."

Sen. Joey Lina told a television interviewer, "I'm going to look into the grievances of these people."

Sen. Orly Mercado, the Senate majority floor leader, said the revolt was inevitable, given the continuing strains in the military that were never clearly resolved. "It's like lancing a boil -- draining it -- so all of these things come out," he said.