TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS, SEPT. 23 -- The Nicaraguan rebels today rejected what they described as a call by the Sandinista government for a "unilateral and partial" cease-fire and proposed, instead, talks between the two sides for a negotiated truce.

In a press conference here, four rebel leaders charged that the Sandinistas' cease-fire call, issued in Managua yesterday, amounted to a demand for surrender and insisted that an effective cease-fire could be reached only through negotiations between the rebels and the Managua government.

"The Sandinistas are obviously only trying to disarm the resistance, and that is something we are not about to permit," said Adolfo Calero, one of six directors of the Nicaraguan Resistance, the rebel alliance.

"That is an invitation to surrender," Enrique Bermudez, the rebels' top military commander, said of the Sandinista statement. "We are not accepting that."

Two other members of the Nicaraguan Resistance directorate, Pedro Joaquin Chamorro and Azucena Ferrey, also attended the news conference and expressed similar rejection of the Sandinista cease-fire call. The rebels suggested that talks with the Sandinistas be held Oct. 4.

The Managua government said yesterday its troops would stop "offensive actions" and remain in garrisons in certain areas of Nicaragua to be designated by the Sandinista authorities. The statement said that the rebels, who are known as counterrevolutionaries or contras, should approach local representatives of the National Reconciliation Commission and begin the process of accepting a Sandinista amnesty. The government has ruled out any talks with the contras.

This and other recent actions by the Sandinistas, and countermoves by the contras, are aimed at showing compliance with a Central American peace plan signed Aug. 7 by the five Central American presidents.

In response to the Sandinista cease-fire proposal, the contras today formally endorsed a call by Salvadoran President Jose Napoleon Duarte for talks on a cease-fire with Marxist rebels in that country Oct. 4. The statement said the Nicaraguan Resistance was ready to start negotiations with the Sandinistas on that date as well.

The contras' statement called on Nicaraguan Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo, head of the reconciliation commission named under the terms of the peace plan, to take steps to bring the two sides together Oct. 4.

At the news conference, the contras also presented a list and map of 55 agricultural cooperatives in northern Nicaragua that they said should be dismantled as part of a cease-fire agreement. The contras said these cooperatives serve as military resupply and "population-control" centers.

In a separate statement, Chamorro, whose family owns the Nicaraguan newspaper La Prensa, read a list of 30 journalists he said had been driven into exile by the Sandinistas after their news media were shut down or they were arrested by the government. Chamorro, whose own name was on the list, said they must be allowed to return to Nicaragua for true press freedom to be restored.

"Freedom of the press cannot be established with the reappearance of one daily in Nicaragua," Chamorro said in reference to a Sandinista decision to allow La Prensa to resume publication.

{In Managua, Nicaragua released 17 prisoners after the National Assembly approved President Daniel Ortega's request that they be pardoned for what was described as activity for the contras, The Associated Press reported. The group includes 8 Hondurans, 5 Salvadorans, 2 Costa Ricans, a Guatemalan and a Panamanian.}