NAIROBI, KENYA -- Relief shipments could resume within a week to drought-stricken northern Ethiopia despite warnings from rebels that they will continue attacking relief trucks, a U.N. official in Ethiopia said yesterday.

Michael Priestley, head of U.N. relief operations in Ethiopia, said the United Nations would not accept a rebel offer of safe passage in return for relief agencies giving notice before entering their territory.

"It's highly unlikely that the government would accept this and it is not really practical," Priestley said in a telephone interview from Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian capital.

Rebels in Eritrea, Ethiopia's northernmost province, attacked and burned 23 relief trucks on Friday, killing a driver.

The Eritrean People's Liberation Front claimed responsibility for Friday's attack, saying three trucks in the convoy were carrying bullets, bombs and fuel for the Ethiopian military. The United Nations denied the charge.

Chilean Denial on Bombs SANTIAGO, Chile -- A Chilean arms manufacturer denied a report that it is selling cluster bombs to Nicaragua. Juan Concha, vice president of Ferrimar, said, "We are no longer making that kind of weapon."

The Washington Post yesterday quoted U.S. officials as saying they have reliable information that the Sandinista government had obtained Chilean-made cluster bombs sold by Ferrimar through Panamanian middlemen. Concha said Ferrimar stopped making cluster bombs "several months ago." For the Record South Korean opposition leader Kim Dae Jung formally declared his presidential candidacy, forming a new party and splitting the main opposition.Emergency workers rescued about 200 foreign and Chinese travelers marooned by a snowstorm on a Himalayan plateau for a week, China's Foreign Ministry said. The ministry, in a message to the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, said no foreigners had been hurt in the blizzard that killed at least 11 Tibetans.